Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big for sponsors mark?

Default How big for sponsors mark?

Hi all. About to register with assay office but have a few Qs. (Ive researched alot on here and online aswell)
    First, how big do you go with the mark? Thinking what it would look like on earring posts versus a larger flat item... do i need two sizes?
    Why do they give you the option of keeping it at home if you’re already sending in a batch that they’re stamping?
    Can i choose my own font for sponsor mark?
    And lastly, how do i go about getting a laser mark if i choose? Is this separate?. Would be a better option for delicate items but do i have the option of this when sending a batch in?
    Thanks
    Mandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Edinburgh where I’m registered they are very good at giving advice on size etc. So I’d hope this is the same at other offices.
    You have to choose from the fonts provided when choosing the size.
    I’m wondering why you’d mark posts and if it’s possible then they would need to be laser marks and not punched which is an added registration at some offices I believe , I know it was at Edinburgh.
    You can choose to keep your makers mark punch, which you do yourself before sending your work and the asssay office put on their marks or you can choose to leave it with them and they put everything on. Your is just your makers mark not the hallmark.
    I’m not sure about sending separate batches for different marks as the last twice I’ve just chosen to have everything laser marked even if I could have marked some pieces myself.
    I have found from discussions in the past that different offices have some variations on what they do and don’t do so it would be best to decide which office you’ll register and give them a call

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    At Edinburgh where I’m registered they are very good at giving advice on size etc. So I’d hope this is the same at other offices.
    You have to choose from the fonts provided when choosing the size.
    I’m wondering why you’d mark posts and if it’s possible then they would need to be laser marks and not punched which is an added registration at some offices I believe , I know it was at Edinburgh.
    You can choose to keep your makers mark punch, which you do yourself before sending your work and the asssay office put on their marks or you can choose to leave it with them and they put everything on. Your is just your makers mark not the hallmark.
    I’m not sure about sending separate batches for different marks as the last twice I’ve just chosen to have everything laser marked even if I could have marked some pieces myself.
    I have found from discussions in the past that different offices have some variations on what they do and don’t do so it would be best to decide which office you’ll register and give them a call
    Oh right. I assumed because an ear wire was separate to the dangly it would be hallmarked.

Im going with Edinburgh aswell but still not sure which size to choose. Will ring them when i get chance.

Thanks for the reply

If the wires have to be added using pliers then they are deemed as one piece. When you said posts I thought you meant as in studs so you’d mark the earring and not the wire. I don’t send my wires in as you could put surgical steel or anything on.
    If Doreen is still at Edinburgh then she’s the one, she’ll be really helpful but all the girls are great. When I had to renew my registration a couple of years ago she talked me out of getting a straight punch and a ring punch, double the cost, and convinced me I only needed a ring punch
    There was a set up charge of £20 when I set up my laser mark, it’s really useful as it can be added to domes and inside areas, on the back of texture even on bails.
    Hope this helps Mandy, it’s quite exciting getting your first punch, I just seem to have lost my nerve marking things myself for some reason and my hand isn’t as steady
    Last edited by CJ57; 29-11-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    Why do they give you the option of keeping it at home if you’re already sending in a batch that they’re stamping?
    I happened to be reading an article on the blog about Hallmarking and this, according to them, is why:

Can I add my sponsor mark to pieces that don’t need hallmarking?
    Of course! Your sponsor mark is unique to you and can be added to all your pieces, whether they require hallmarking or not. Only when you have three of the compulsory identification stamps will your piece be hallmarked. But your sponsor mark is just a mark of your craftmanship and your brand, so if you can add to those pieces that don’t require hallmarking, at lease it means that your customer base will recognise your work.

Ref:do-you-need-to-hallmark-your-jewellery

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If the wires have to be added using pliers then they are deemed as one piece. When you said posts I thought you meant as in studs so you’d mark the earring and not the wire. I don’t send my wires in as you could put surgical steel or anything on.
    If Doreen is still at Edinburgh then she’s the one, she’ll be really helpful but all the girls are great. When I had to renew my registration a couple of years ago she talked me out of getting a straight punch and a ring punch, double the cost, and convinced me I only needed a ring punch
    There was a set up charge of £20 when I set up my laser mark, it’s really useful as it can be added to domes and inside areas, on the back of texture even on bails.
    Hope this helps Mandy, it’s quite exciting getting your first punch, I just seem to have lost my nerve marking things myself for some reason and my hand isn’t as steady
    Thanks Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    I happened to be reading an article on the blog about Hallmarking and this, according to them, is why:

Ref:do-you-need-to-hallmark-your-jewellery
    Thanks HMB. Worth keeping myself then

That’s interesting as I’ve never used it for the that. Back in the day there was no option but to keep your mark and do it yourself as I remember, it wasn’t thought of for marking underweight pieces.There was no way the mean little men in brown coats would take them without your mark in an unfinished state so that they could scrape the hell out of it!

Just a question sort of on the subject Caroline your mention "scraping the hell out of it" what is the situation when you send your pieces in do you do a final finish first or do that when you receive them back

It’s like night and day now Bob. Back in the 70s/80s there was little consideration for your work and pieces were sent in barely more than soldered together or filed down so that they could take a scrape. They were really rude and bad tempered older men who I don’t think appreciated girls producing metal work either. Now you wouldn’t know they’d been as it were. You can send in finished pieces, even stone set and technology must do it’s work now. So far mine have come back as good as new. They go out of their way to work with you, phone with any queries before they do anything if you haven’t made it clear enough. Being able to have them laser marked has meant that they can mark in all sorts of tricky places, the only problem I had last time was they hadn’t marked one piece which was to be filled with resin and I hadn’t checked until after I’d done that. They were a bit nervous about where they would laser it but it was fine. They just need a final tidy up but it’s not always necessary