Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery tool

Many of my gravers are carbon steel
    (As are all of my chasing tools and Japanese tagane)
    Last edited by ps_bond; 27-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.

As Peter says, many of my tools are carbon steel, I use silver steel or tool steel to make my chasing and texturing tools. Not sure about these days but we called some carbon steel, Mild Steel and this alloy couldn't be hardened and tempered like tool and silver steel could be.
    I also agree that the tool shown is a woodworkers chisel.
    If anyone is interested in buying silver steel rods for making tools, I buy mine from here;https://www.ekpsupplies.com/silversteel.html ,they are also good for winding jump rings on.

James

Ok I was generalising there is carbon and there is carbon steel, some wood working chisels are very soft carbon steel, to be honest it would probably be fine to for most precious metal, if it was to
    used on steel then that is a bit different, some chisels are collectable so before you repurpose it it may be worth checking as it may be worth selling and using the funds a new tool

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I think it's a wood chisel, Sheena.
    Re engineers' squares, they're allrightish, but in the hands of the uninitiated like myself, you can get a more perfect sqare using 1.0mm grapph paper. I like the blue one, because it's easy on the eye.
    You can also buy templates for squares, as use by graphic artists. Dennis.
    Thanks for that dennis. I've been wanting something to make sure my corners are definitly right angles and not going off at a slant. Will check out my local art shop/stationers

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Would you believe cut mortices with it (as in mortice & tenon joints)?

Thanks peter, mortice chisel for mortices.... cheeky! Funnily enough this video gives me a idea.

Sorry, I was more focused on the chisel... I use a variety of engineers squares depending on what I'm up to; on the bench I have 25, 50 & 75mm (the 25 sees most use) - I've got larger ones for use around other tools. It's a good idea to check the square is, well, square - simple enough, scribe a line against the square (held against a straight bit of metal), flip the square over & scribe the line again. If they're parallel (or better still, on top of each other) then the square is square. Most of the time jewellery only needs to be square-ish though, it depends what you're up to.

Now I feel like listening to Huey Lewis...

BTW - I had written far more on the differences between mortice & bevel-edge chisels, but there was a glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Ok I was generalising there is carbon and there is carbon steel, some wood working chisels are very soft carbon steel, to be honest it would probably be fine to for most precious metal, if it was to
    used on steel then that is a bit different, some chisels are collectable so before you repurpose it it may be worth checking as it may be worth selling and using the funds a new tool
    Hopefully my chisel is the rarest chisel you can have, commanding silly prices at auction, therefor allowing me to not just buy a new tool but an entire workshop, ha, ha.

Got a chance to watch the mortise video this morning, saving his technique in my brain for future use. Thanks, peter.