Thread: What kind of felt?

Question What kind of felt?

Suppose I wanted to hand polish small flat items using felt, what kind would I need to use that would match the pendant wheel?

Felt-Pendant-Wheel-prcode-999-ACM

Is it the same as craft felt? There seems to be a variety of wool/synthetic blends. Which would be best for 1st stage polish?

Craft felt would not be very durable you would be better off with engineering felt, a supplier of this would be able to advise the best grade, I have found that different suppliers have different names for the the same grade

I would very much recommend that instead of using rotary tools, you use Micro-Mesh sheets instead, lying flat on the bench and rubbing your pieces on them.
    They are rubbery abrasive sheets, which can be washed from time to time and you only need about four grades, say
    2400,3600,6000 and8000. I find they work best if you place one on top of the next as you go. No compounds no mess.

https://www.google.com/search?q=micr...ient=firefox-b

BTW, as you are a valued regular contributor, would you mind if we addressed you by your first name? Dennis.

@china: Thanks for the tip

@Dennis: Thanks for the compliment! I know you like Micro-mesh and I'm sure they are as good as you say. But they don't seem as cost effective as the messy way. I am tempted to try them though.

The alternative, I would say is to get a small polishing lathe, such as the Foredom, preferably with a hood. Then you can use larger mops to give a more even result. Messy but effective.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113283912344

Moleroda are a good source for Felt Pads for hand-finishing, in 2 grades, soft and hard: https://www.moleroda.com/product/felt-pads/

I wouldn’t go past my bench polisher for polishing and I use bristle and then wool although I do have felt mops I find them too hard. Having said that I bought a couple of these, https://www.cooksongold.com/category...polishing+mops the soft is hard enough in my opinion. They don’t clog up and give a good finish but as with all big felts a little care is required.
    Last edited by CJ57; 28-11-2018 at 03:19 PM.

I would have to agree that a bench polisher is the way to go, I use swans down buffs for the final finish and mostly to start as Caroline does a bristle brush, once you are used to using this method you can polish very fine delicate pieces

I would like the bench polisher but the issue I have is holding what I need to polish. They are small discs (9.5 - 10mm in dia) and right now I'm using nylon jaw pliers.

Not sure how I would make effective use of the larger mop on a bench polisher(?)

Having now seen the price of professional felt (thanks Paul) I decided to buy micro mesh instead and purchased 2 sheets from Cookson (6000 & 12000) and I will try them out this weekend. I also invested in parallel jaw nylon pliers which I hope will give better grip for 1st stage with the pendant motor.

Well, don't use pliers with those. Just rub them flat on the sheet. If you don't press very hard, just a sweaty or licked finger on the reverse should be sufficient to move your disks forward and back. If not, a cone of BluTack will do it.

I also think your choice of grits too fine(see my suggestions above) The 3600 will already give a near mirror finish and the 12000 might be too fine to have any effect at all.

They gradually become smoother with use too and move up a grade, so all you have to replenish with time is the lowest one. Dennis.