Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cameras

Default Cameras

I have a Panasonic LUMIX which has been absolutely fine until recently. I’ve asked a photographer friend who is advising. I’m wondering what everyone uses to take good quality photos without too much fiddling, preferably and IA setting which had until recently worked well for me.
    Always good to get recommendations from people who are doing their own jewellery and know the pitfalls

The best thing I did was learn how to use Adobe lightroom as long as the picture is in focus and the lighting is okish you can make the pictures look good for website, The camera isnt mega important as long as its digital and has a half decent sensor the bigger the better as you get more to edit with. I will probs get shot for saying that but that,s what I have found. I spent on a Canon 70D and a 100mm macro lens and by the time you set it up, photostacked the picture etc etc you start to loose the will to live It takes so much time but does take awesome pics but then you compress them to 1000x1000 72dpi seems a bit of a waste of time. For social media where your pictures are almost disposable, I get ok results with my mobile phone and lightroom.

I use a Olympus E-510, I also use this for portrait and general photo graphic work, I currently have 5 lenses for it
    I also have many thousands of dollars in film cameras which I no longer use. (Inherited from my Father)
    I also have a Olympus FE-110, for quick on the run non critical pics however this one might be getting replaced it seems to be having a sight problem with close up focus, and sadly these days
    it will not be viable/able to be repaired.

I already do editing but it’s important to me that the pics are good which until recently they were. I don’t want to spend my time endlessly editing, I seem to do that to get them ready for my fb page or the OS website. It may be my camera has run its course and as suggested by Bob and my friend it’s costly to repair these days

I've inherited my dads canon powershot sx50 hs camera. I've just been using my mobile phone so far which is great for having to do nothing more than point and click then finesse the photo on instagram. I am going to try and learn how to use the powershot as the mobiles are no good for white backgrounds and hopefully i will be able to keep presaved settings, within the camera, just for my jewellery to make it easy.

Hi Caroline,

We bought a used Nikon D50 with a used Macro lens, which have both been excellent. We take our images in RAW format and then compress them down for the website. For editing the image, we use the software that came with the Nikon and it takes just a few minutes to sort each pic out. I hope that helps, but if you need anything else, just pm me.
    Jules

I think maybe the quality of my new iPad has thrown me but it’s useless for trying to do finished shots and they can’t be resized for online use to the spec I need. I have a macro lens for my Lumix and never use it. I’d forever be at the polisher getting rid of a flaw I can’t see with the naked eye, I’m anal enough about finish without that!

I use both a Canon DSLR and a Canon compact for my shots.

Love using the 100mm Macro lens as the quality is superb BUT it'll also pickup every little flaw in your finished item.

I actually enjoy the photo taking/editing process. I tend to save the high resolution originals for archive purposes and to give to customers as quite a few like me to document the whole making process.

I then resize them for use on Instagram etc, so best of both worlds really.

Cheers,

Nick

What Lumix do you have? I use an old Lumix FZ45 which has a Leica lens and it gives me great quality photos. I also have a couple of Nikon DSLRs that I use with a Nikkor Macro lens, but the quality is not much better than the Lumix photos.

I took this photo with my Lumix FZ45.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28 Gordon's  rings.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	11700

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    What Lumix do you have? I use an old Lumix FZ45 which has a Leica lens and it gives me great quality photos. I also have a couple of Nikon DSLRs that I use with a Nikkor Macro lens, but the quality is not much better than the Lumix photos.

I took this photo with my Lumix FZ45.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28 Gordon's  rings.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	11700

James
    It’s a DMC G3 James. I’m pretty sure I bought the LUMIX because you’d recommended it quite a few years back. It’s given me great quality until recently but it may be that I’ve got too much white in the box and the IA is overcompensating.
    It’s probably happened since I changed from natural daylight of which there is none up here just now, to the light box.
    Do you still photograph in daylight or do you use a box? I find the box a bit flat