Thread: Menē Inc. is a Dazzling Jewelry Industry Disruptor

Question Menē Inc. is a Dazzling Jewelry Industry Disruptor

Menē Inc. is a Dazzling Jewelry Industry Disruptor

Does anyone think this will have an impact on their business model?

Assuming I've understood what they're doing correctly, this appears to be sacrificing all craftsmanship & aesthetic purely to satisfy the old portable wealth concept?
    The whole thing about alloying being used to "devalue" precious metals is utter flannel, and I'm never impressed when the marketing blurb slags off a competitor (not that I'm a fan of Tiffany, but I regard it as unethical trying to sell your work on the basis of how terrible their pieces are).

ATEOTD I read it as a company that knows (and cares) naff-all about making jewellery and is only interested in selling bullion cast as pretend jewellery pieces. With added BS.

Well if they have a fixed charge of 20% for design and manufacture they must have very limited generic designs or they are ripping people off.

whooooooooosh

(that's the sound of it all going way over my head)

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    whooooooooosh

(that's the sound of it all going way over my head)
    Ditto!!!!! 10 characters needed, not even allowed to succinct

Having read the link and spent the past half hour rolling in laughter, this reminded me of a local jeweller from my youth, many many years ago, who, without going into specifics about race, religion, beliefs or ethnicity, sold, pretty much wholly into his own community, mostly wedding jewellery but also day to day wear, in 24K gold, never hallmarked. So once a year the relevant authority, HMRC or whoever, paid him a visit and duly fined him, and he paid the fine with a smile. He had no need to hallmark his product, or pay the expense of doing so, his community expected pure gold and if he ever sold anything but he would have no longer been in business. Yes, I guess that wedding jewellery was (is?) an example of the transfer of portable wealth being transferred between families... it was (mostly) a gentler time.

ha that reminded me that abt 15 years ago, when I have briefly spent some time living in Ethiopia I was astonished that they sold all gold by weight. Value of stones was not having matter at all. come to the shop, love item , on the scales off you go!