Thread: Black marks on sterling silver

Question Black marks on sterling silver

Hello guys!

I sincerely trying to find discussion about my problem on this forum, but I have found nothing about it... (Sorry if my english is not good enough, it is not my native language

I work only with sterling silver at this moment (I do not have a lot of experience I must say) and the problem I noticed that after some time black spots appears on the surface of jewellery. Of course I know that Sterling silver does tarnishes, but those marks sometimes appears very quickly and it is not even layer of tarnish on the surface, but like black (or dark grey) spots. It can be removed with file or emery paper, but it appears again and again.
    I am afraid that some pieces that I have already sold will turn spotty and ugly

What else I have noticed that these black spots appears on Sterling silver wire and sheet that I bought from Cooksongold. On those pieces which was made using lost wax casting technique there is no marks like that.

How can I prevent it?! What is the reason these black spots come out? Is there some safe way to remove those marks completely? Have you experienced something like that?

Few pictures to show what I am talking about (it may look like shadow on picture but it's marks that I mentioned). Thanks guys!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black spots11.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	11689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black spots222.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	11690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181120_133516.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	11691
    Last edited by vlada; 20-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.

hi Vlada , no worries, I think this theme was actually widely discussed on this forum and in many sources online. Those stains are called fire stains or firescales. They do happen a lot when using sterling silver less with argentium and fine silver. you can remove them by repeatedly heating metal and pickling or polishing properly. Basically it's oxides on the surface of metal. Hope that helps.

I agree with Ankolosova, the most likely cause is Firescale/Firestain.

See my thread here: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9012

I followed the advice of using Methylated Spirits mixed with boric acid. I never had the problem again. It works

BTW: I visited Vilnius a few times, it's a beautiful city in a beautiful country! Cepelinai was my favourite meal!
    Last edited by handmadeblanks; 20-11-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    BTW: I visited Vilnius a few times, it's a beautiful city in a beautiful country! Cepelinai was my favourite meal!
    Nice to hear it, our country is really beautiful I agree with that

Thanks a lot everyone! I knew that it should be frequent question, I guess my wording was bad for the search.
    So much links and so much information, thank you thank you!

I hope Methylated Spirits and boric acid will work for me too.