Hi All,

This is my first post. I'm planning to make a pair of earrings for my wife, but hope you may be able to help with a few matters.

My design is a bird shaped outline, cut out of some 0.5 mm (25 ga) polished brass or copper sheet, with some coloured markings on the front (possibly hand painted or enameled). The outline is approx. 17 mm wide and 35 mm tall (11/16 x 1 3/8"). Suggestions are welcome if this sounds like a bad idea.

However, my primary question is how best to add an ear attachment:
1. solder earring post to back (pre-made?)
2. french hook (pre-made?). If so, how could this be achieved without punching a hole through the sheet brass? I presume a hook or loop of some kind would need to be soldered to the back near the top - what would be the best way? Then, would I use a jump ring to attach to the french hook?

The above question relates to choosing an option that looks good, would be practical and comfortable to wear, and not too difficult or time-consuming to make. I've soldered and made a couple of plain rings before, but that's the extent of my jewellery making experience. I've never made or worn earrings before so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!