Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reticulation

Default reticulation

After doing it by accident on a something I was attempting to anneal a while back, reticulation is now one of my favourite things! Wonderfully wrinkly textures that appear almost like magic as you work and they're always subtly different each time so a piece is truly unique even if its a stock design.

These two are pendants made from scraps left over from other projects.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	11669 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	11670

These two (which used to be damaged teaspoons) are work in progress and I'm undecided whether to make them into necklaces or brooches. As they're a bit larger than the previous pieces I'm also not sure if they perhaps need a little something added as a focal point to the design or whether a dip in LOS to highlight the texture will be sufficient.

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	11671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	11672
    Hazel

I take it you're esentially overheating the metal. I've just thought of a ring design i want to do with this texture.

Yep, heat it and pickle it a few times to get a good layer of fine silver on the outside. Then heat it til the inside melts and goes all wibbly inside the outer skin of silver.
    I've seen some beautiful things with this texture, including this gorgeous ring. I'm going to try and make something similar for myself at some point.

Name:	textured ring.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	11674
    Hazel

Hi Hasel, your adea with spoons is amasing!!! Good luck pls share the end product! I had one genterlman in my class i am attending who was talking abt doing more rings with reticulatuon, now i see why!!!

Mmm, Looking at the ring and how reliculation works sounds like it's best to reticulate your sheet then form it into something rather than reticulating an item. Sounds like a 3d shape would probably collapse. Just thinking aloud

Yes, Hazel is a reticulation genius, but the process is unpredictable. As you say Sheena, it is better to make some stock and choose the best parts for your project.
    You can even dome it, if you use wooden punches and (preferably) a brass block. Dennis.

Maybe enthusiast rather than genius
    The spoons were rather experimental and I wasn't sure how well they'd survive the process but I'm quite pleased with the result. They have sagged a little in the middle so that they're slightly flattened on the underside but that actually works ok in this instance. It would certainly be more reliable to texture a flat sheet and then shape it afterwards though.

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	11675

I think the unpredictability is one of the things I like so much about this technique - I start with a general idea of what I'd like to make but the nature of the piece evolves depending on what the metal gives back rather than me working to achieve a rigid design from the outset.
    Hazel

I'm the opposite, i don't like unpredictability so much so it sometimes stops me from starting

Quote Originally Posted by eekoh View Post
    After doing it by accident on a something I was attempting to anneal a while back, reticulation is now one of my favourite things! Wonderfully wrinkly textures that appear almost like magic as you work and they're always subtly different each time so a piece is truly unique even if its a stock design.

These two are pendants made from scraps left over from other projects.

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	11669 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	11670

These two (which used to be damaged teaspoons) are work in progress and I'm undecided whether to make them into necklaces or brooches. As they're a bit larger than the previous pieces I'm also not sure if they perhaps need a little something added as a focal point to the design or whether a dip in LOS to highlight the texture will be sufficient.

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	11671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	11672
    Love the pendants, love the spoons x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t call it unpredicatabilty but serendipity and I just go with the flow. Lots of things just evolve at my bench unless they are a complete disaster