Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online Jewellery Courses

Soham Harrison on Toutube has some v good stuff for free.
    Nick

I'm with Sheena, I bought a couple of the Lucy Walker classes and they're excellent. You only get to watch the video class for a year or so but they're very good and you get very comprehensive lengthy handouts to download with lots of photos.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    This seems to have become a spam post Sheena
    Hi Caroline, I must have missed something because I can't see why this is spam? 🤔

I've tried Jewellery Training Solutions, At The Bench and Lucy Walker's classes and would recommend all three. Have learnt so much from them and they ask have very different teaching styles.

Tess

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Hi Caroline, I must have missed something because I can't see why this is spam? ��
    Because it attracts spammers like flies to something or other.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Hi Caroline, I must have missed something because I can't see why this is spam? ��

I've tried Jewellery Training Solutions, At The Bench and Lucy Walker's classes and would recommend all three. Have learnt so much from them and they ask have very different teaching styles.

Tess
    Usually when a post is at least 2 years old and someone new just says thank you very much it’s a sign They are building up posts to sell us some rubbish

Thanks Caroline, now I get it!

I have a BFA in photography from a good fine-arts school, and I hate the life path it's put me on.

I've always dreamed of designing jewelry, and after taking a sculpture course in college (welding, woodworking, moldmaking, etc), I found that I just love and adore working with my hands. Spending hours finishing a piece, measuring and cutting and thinking of new ways to do things.

So I think becoming a jeweler/metalsmith would fulfill both my need for creativity in the workplace as well as my desire to work with my hands. And don't worry; I know that I wouldn't start making beautiful, intricate pieces. I'm cool with that. Most of what I did in sculpture class were simple, starter tasks, and I absolutely loved them.

Where do I begin? I've been looking at classes but they seem either aimed at the craft hobbyist (how to put beads together to make earrings) or more about creating a single neat item than teaching and fundamental skills. Are there schools/universities with good metalsmithing programs? Should I look into getting an apprenticeship? Should I just watch videos on youtube?

Hello namangarg and welcome to the forum.
    Depending on your age and free time, and location, you can learn jewellery making at a college, as an apprentice, or simply by starting small and learning from books, online courses, and asking here. Dennis.