Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amethyst Pendant

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Is the chip top right of the stone as we look at the photo?
    I like the design but wonder if the metal was too thick for ease of setting as Dennis mentions above.
    Its really about practise and having something decent to magnify it to see well enough as you set.
    Stone setting has been my biggest challenge and one Im still perfecting but it does get a lot easier with practise.

Hi Sarah, yes that's where the chip is
    Think I will try and thinner Bezel next time. I used 0.8mm to give it strength but if I go for Dennis' rim idea I can go thinner on the bezel without worry.

I have been using the x4 dental headband loupes (Lactona?) recommended by Dennis. Can't seem to find the x6 online and think it will be many years before I consider a microscope! Think you're right, more thsn anything I just need to keep practicing

Thanks George
    Have been wearing it to work with pride, imperfections and all, and colleague has asked me to make one for his girlfriend! Think I'll need to practice a fair bit more before I make it but it's something to aim for.

Thanks Anna! Yes it is my Instagram and my very first post. I've loved the rings you've been making. Look forward to seeing your next project x

I find this is a thing that a lot of people as beginners get wrong ( me included ) that is making bezels too thick and then being unable to push it over successfully, .5 or even a tad thinner would suffice it is
    quite amazing how strong thin material is especially when pushed over. In some cases you want a heavy bezel for aesthetic reasons although then it is time to break out the hammer and punch or the hammer hand piece if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I find this is a thing that a lot of people as beginners get wrong ( me included ) that is making bezels too thick and then being unable to push it over successfully, .5 or even a tad thinner would suffice it is
    quite amazing how strong thin material is especially when pushed over. In some cases you want a heavy bezel for aesthetic reasons although then it is time to break out the hammer and punch or the hammer hand piece if you have one.
    Or reverse and shape the tip of a Dremel Engraver. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dremel Engraver As Setting Tool.jpg  

Thanks China and Dennis. I used a hammer with the pusher but my hand slipped causing the chip
    Will opt for a thinner bezel for the next project and look into Dremel engravers or a hammer handpiece for the Foredom x