Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanding tiny items

Default Sanding tiny items

What's the best way to sand items less than 1cm across. I've been punching out little circles using euro punch pliers to make stud earrings but they are very hard to hold on to and sand the curved edge, end up with sore fingers. I've seen peeps use frog tape to make a handle to give them purchase on the item. Anyone else have any tips or tricks?

Nylon face pliers and work your way around them

I see on Instagram that you’ve soldered the posts on so that’s the way to do it now. It should give you something to hold onto and if you don’t have nylon faced pliers as Bob suggests wrap a bit of masking tape around the pliers you have

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I see on Instagram that you’ve soldered the posts on so that’s the way to do it now. It should give you something to hold onto and if you don’t have nylon faced pliers as Bob suggests wrap a bit of masking tape around the pliers you have
    Ah, so sand the edges after you put the posts on. Hadn't thought of that

Sanding the edges of small disks will quickly destroy their circular shape. Fine, mounted rubber wheels on a slow speed would be safer and unlikely to harm fingers. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Sanding the edges of small disks will quickly destroy their circular shape. Fine, mounted rubber wheels on a slow speed would be safer and unlikely to harm fingers. Dennis
    Would the rubber wheels be mounted on my drill?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Nylon face pliers and work your way around them
    Thanks china, this helped.

Sheena, have a look at Eveflex 970 610 and 970 370 at Cookson. They are what I would normally use for polishing sharp edges on small items, using a light touch and a slow speed.

There is a wealth of these in many shapes, both mounted and unmounted (needing screw mandrels).

You only need a few shapes and degrees of coarseness. They do wear away unevenly, but can be re-shaped by running them on any diamond covered tool, or one of these, mini sharpening plates.

https://whiterosetools.com/products/...CABEgL9dfD_BwE Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

Thanks Dennis, will seriously consider these. I've been avoiding sanding by machine because of the dust but the circles are so fiddly and i like that you say you can run your drill at slow speed.

I’m thinking that there may be more sanding required because of cutting with the punch pliers rather than a disc cutter. I must admit that i have little cleaning up of edges with a disc cutter