Thread: Where to place solder seam on a stone set ring

Arrow Where to place solder seam on a stone set ring

Hi everyone .i have usually put the solder seam under the setting but realise that this might cause problems if ring needs resizing. Have just registered for hallmarking by lazer and note that the mark is applied in two separate parts so that wouldn't want to be on a solder seamj. As I am intending to now sell some of my work I will probably put the solder seam opposite the setting in case of resizing . What do others do ?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Ideally for purposes of resizing, the solder is best if not done under the stone , as you point out.

I do near the bottom 1/4 of the ring and get the assay office to laser on the inner side of the shank above that area. I normally mark with a black sharpie as it helps the laser and is also easy to get of with sterilising hand spray (or equivalent). The assay will keep the hallmark together, but they may laser over a soldered area if you don't show them where you want your mark to go.

Hi Trish,
    Wallace has answered your question, but for some one who you suspect will change their finger size from time to time, you might also consider building in an adjustment function, as in my picture below.

The ring can be enlarged by pushing up a triblet, or reduced by pinching the loops with pliers. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Agate Drusi Ring.jpg  

Really interesting stone setting Dennis. Much prefer this idea for an adjustable ring band over those ones that have a gap in the band

Dennis this is such a clever trick!!! interesting! thank you will keep a note of it! and good Q was asked. When I started learning silversmithing I was told to put joint under stone setting but I see now there is reason why it's not totally correct. Thank you!!!

Thank you Wallace , I wouldn't have known to mark where you want hallmark to go with a black sharpie. That's a really useful answer . I'll make sure I do that when I send my work in

Hi Dennis , I really like your adjustable ring idea . I will have to try it thank you

Thank you, here is a plan for it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adjustable Ring, Scheme for Shank.jpg  

4.6mm or 46mm

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    4.6mm or 46mm
    I usually have problems seeing jewellery photos that are shared but there is a point in there