Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Saw frame for a beginner.

I'm really enjoying everyone's imput on saw frame preferences. It's really interesting to see what people use and why.
    James, useful info about the green lion. i think you might have to seek treatment for your multiple saw frame problem.
    Enigma, i think you are completely right about buying a cheap one for now. That's exactly what i should do. certainly that's what i have in mind.
    Last edited by Sheen; 30-10-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Sheen, I am now retired, but in my time my piercing skills have been very useful when creating some of my past work, like this table centrepiece which had a lot of piercing on it, 18ct gold piercings that fitted over guilloche enamelled silver stands and bowls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02a- 5 bowl Table centrepiece.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	11637 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02b-Table centrepiece side bowl.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	11638

James

Wow james! I could never imagine making anything like that myself. The precision is stunning. I'll be aiming for some small piercing work done to a reasonable standard

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Sheen, I am now retired, but in my time my piercing skills have been very useful when creating some of my past work, like this table centrepiece which had a lot of piercing on it, 18ct gold piercings that fitted over guilloche enamelled silver stands and bowls.

Name:	02a- 5 bowl Table centrepiece.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	11637 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02b-Table centrepiece side bowl.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	11638

James
    this just made my jaw drop... hahahah..... wow...

This is my favourite saw these days, I got this titanium framed one from Lee Marshall a few years ago, I don't think they make these ones at Knew Concepts these days though. it's very light to hold.

Name:	224 Ti Knew Concepts sawframe.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	11639

James

Sheen,you have me intrigued now as to what sort of things you are planning to saw pierce. I hope you’ll do a show n tell when you’ve done some. Like you I was quite tempted by the green lion, mainly because the shape is so pretty, and I was taken with the idea of changing the saw blades by squeezing the frame in my hand - someone brought one into class recently and I realised that my hands are not big enough to reach both ends and squeeze. So I’ve still not decided to buy one just yet. I haven’t done a lot of piercing, but just have a bog standard saw with a black wooden handle. I think the most important thing is to use the right size blades for the thickness of metal, otherwise it just Judders and jumps. I have an adjustable frame, but i’d Rather have a fixed one, as it sometimes comes loose.
    Whatever you decide - happy sawing!
    Sue

At the moment i want to saw out tiny little flower shapes for rings, earrings. After that who knows what i'm going to make. I've decided that i am definitly going for a fixed frame. I wondered whether i'd have big enough hands to sqeeze the green lion, sounds like i won't from your experiance. I put a link earlier in this thread to the green lion guy showing how to load blades including if your hands are too small. I've read so far that the knew is slightly lighter than the green lion as well. Though i prefer the smaller look of the green lion over the knew

I started out using a regular adjustable frame saw frame but found it too heavy to use for long periods of time so when the Knew Concepts saw frames came out which were advertised as being lighter, I bought the 3" fixed frame and subsequently the 5" versions. However over time, I found it increasingly troublesome to achieve and maintain the right tension with the KC saws, also the saw blade would twist around at an angle midway through piercing, resulting in many a broken blade.

I bought the Green Lion saw frame a couple of months ago and I love it. The saw frame feels very balanced enabling me to cut straighter/more accurately and maintain the saw frame perpendicular to the metal and for my purposes, the weight and handle feel just right.

Quote Originally Posted by vsilvered View Post
    I started out using a regular adjustable frame saw frame but found it too heavy to use for long periods of time so when the Knew Concepts saw frames came out which were advertised as being lighter, I bought the 3" fixed frame and subsequently the 5" versions. However over time, I found it increasingly troublesome to achieve and maintain the right tension with the KC saws, also the saw blade would twist around at an angle midway through piercing, resulting in many a broken blade.

I bought the Green Lion saw frame a couple of months ago and I love it. The saw frame feels very balanced enabling me to cut straighter/more accurately and maintain the saw frame perpendicular to the metal and for my purposes, the weight and handle feel just right.
    They changed the blade fixings on the knew concept saw since it came out. I think you can get it retrofitted. Interesting to hear you love your green lion. Is there a noticable differance in weight between the two? How do you find the loading of the blades on the lion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    At the moment i want to saw out tiny little flower shapes for rings, earrings. After that who knows what i'm going to make. I've decided that i am definitly going for a fixed frame. I wondered whether i'd have big enough hands to sqeeze the green lion, sounds like i won't from your experiance. I put a link earlier in this thread to the green lion guy showing how to load blades including if your hands are too small. I've read so far that the knew is slightly lighter than the green lion as well. Though i prefer the smaller look of the green lion over the knew
    The eclipse was part of our basic kit at college and I quite happily used it for decades until being lured to the KC which took a long time to get used to. As I messaged you the KC is much lighter at 100gms, the eclipse approx 145 and the green lion is 7 oz or 197 which I’d find quite heavy for a lot of use. I think that’s all bases covered now