Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw frame for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ... At the risk of bringing down the wrath of some members, I heartily endorse this one from Cousins, which has holes and slots, for fine fiddly work. I even take mine when I work away from home, to the envy of colleagues. BTW, ideally bench pegs for piercing are flat, not sloping.
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bench-pegs Dennis.
    Now available from Cookson with added pegs: https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...peg&channel=uk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	997_1661_3_12.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	11624

Thanks Peter, I take it you just take care to brush the filings out of the grobet's clamps before you put a new blade in. Is it easy to set the blades into the clamps? Or, being more rigid, do you need to use more strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kay View Post
    Now available from Cookson with added pegs: https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...peg&channel=uk

Name:	997_1661_3_12.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	11624
    I wonder what Dennis thinks of this one compared to his

I have used many piercing saw frames throughout my career, when I started piercing I used the standard saw frames as suggested by others, I have also used the fixed frame Eclipse version quite successfully, this was me piercing one of my quite complex egg jobs using my Eclipse frame, way back in the 1980s. As said by others make sure you use decent saw blades like the Glardon Vallorbe ones I have used throughout my time.

Name:	013- Forget me not egg piercing.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	11625 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	452 Glardon Vallorbe blades.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	11626

James

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I wonder what Dennis thinks of this one compared to his
    Thank you for pointing that out, Paul.

It's obviously an update on the same one. The pegs will be useful to support work against and prevent it slipping.

There is nothing tricky about using it Sheena: the V-shape is in the centre and the little slots can be used for small piercing jobs, which might otherwise fall through the V. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, have now put Paul's recommendation in my cookson's basket along with some size 4 vallorbe blades. Just need to make a decision on the saw. I think it needs to be reasonably light and i need to be able to put the blades in without too much effort as my upper body strength is poor due to a health condition.

Sheen, I hope that you have not ordered size 4 saw blades as they are rather large, I have never used that size, the largest blades I use are size 0, I noticed you said in your first post that you didn't intend piercing over 1.5mm. thick. I would used size 2/0 for cutting 1.5mm. sheet. perhaps you meant that you had ordered size 4/0, which is a well used size, I would use 4/0 saws for piercing up to 0.7mm. thick sheet. A good selection of saw sizes to start learning would be 4/0, 2/0 and 0.
    Good luck.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Sheen, I hope that you have not ordered size 4 saw blades as they are rather large, I have never used that size, the largest blades I use are size 0, I noticed you said in your first post that you didn't intend piercing over 1.5mm. thick. I would used size 2/0 for cutting 1.5mm. sheet. perhaps you meant that you had ordered size 4/0, which is a well used size, I would use 4/0 saws for piercing up to 0.7mm. thick sheet. A good selection of saw sizes to start learning would be 4/0, 2/0 and 0.
    Good luck.
    James
    Thanks james for questioning that one. Good to have peeps keeping me right. Got some 4/0 sat in the basket. Will order some of the others too.

Just discovered the green lion doesn't require much effort to load the saw blade https://youtu.be/zVdzRIJidOE tempting again ha,ha.

Here is a saw blade chart. It's the sizes ending in /0 at the top which we normally use. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sawblade Chart.jpg