Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Saw frame for a beginner.

vsilered, it is interesting the problem you have with kc's I have the 3" and also the 5" and have never experienced those problems, may you have some grit or filings trapped somewhere

Hi caroline, i forgot it was you that told me about the weight differance . i wondered whether it was a noticable differance (i have no concept of what the numbers mean in reality). So thanks for your input on that. I'm swinging towards the elipse for now with an upgrade to knew or green dragon later. Going let all this info absorb into my brain for a few days then buy my wee heap of stuff. Will let everyone know how i get on
    Last edited by Sheen; 31-10-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    They changed the blade fixings on the knew concept saw since it came out. I think you can get it retrofitted. Interesting to hear you love your green lion. Is there a noticable differance in weight between the two? How do you find the loading of the blades on the lion?
    The Green Lion saw frame is indeed heavier than the Knew Concept saw, but the better weight distribution in the saw makes it feels more balanced in the hand and more comfortable to use. Also, loading saw blades at the right tension is easier in the Green Lion than my Mark I Knew Concept saw frames.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    vsilered, it is interesting the problem you have with kc's I have the 3" and also the 5" and have never experienced those problems, may you have some grit or filings trapped somewhere
    Thanks for the info China. I would clean out the filings in the KC saw frame after use, but I found that after a while, the grub screws in my KC Mark I version stopped holding the blades in properly.

I use an old saw that I got on ebay under the 'vintage jewellers tools' listings - seems well balanced, didn't cost much and has a nice feel to it. Possibly isn't as light as a modern one as it has a hardwood grip but it been a good starter for me. The only thing I've had to complain about so far is that it hasn't always been quite a deep enough frame for what i've been trying to cu - but thats possibly because I didn't think about that when I bought that copper sheet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	11673
    Hazel

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    When i've seen video of folks using the green lion it looks a dream to use. I'm still tempted even though i've never sawed a piece of metal in my life.
    Made me laugh!
    Im just getting into a little bit of sawing. Been scared up to now. Cut through some coiled jump rings 1.5mm thick and they weren’t too bad. Cheapy saw, cheapy blades! Would love to do intricate designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Sheen, I am now retired, but in my time my piercing skills have been very useful when creating some of my past work, like this table centrepiece which had a lot of piercing on it, 18ct gold piercings that fitted over guilloche enamelled silver stands and bowls.

Attachment 11637 Attachment 11638

James
    Very impressive! I’m in awe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk