Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saw frame for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Thanks Peter, I take it you just take care to brush the filings out of the grobet's clamps before you put a new blade in. Is it easy to set the blades into the clamps? Or, being more rigid, do you need to use more strength.
    Blow them out, usually. Occasionally one gets stuck that means I have to clean it properly (screws out, degrease to flush it out, blow dry, reassemble). The knurled knobs aren't as easy to tighten on the blade as the Eclipse screws if your grip is suffering. As far as tensioning the blade, it may take a bit more leaning on the handle than the Eclipse but I don't really notice. It's not really a strength issue, more a leaning the right way on it.

As for blades, I was using some #4 blades the other day, but I was cutting 6mm brass in straight lines.

6mm brass...Arg, I don't envy that one

Andrew Berry of 'the bench' has made a video on his thought's about choice of saw. Thought i would post it here https://youtu.be/8_N9NEGPaYgthe

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    6mm brass...Arg, I don't envy that one
    How about 5mm steel with 4/0 blades? All doable, it just takes longer
    Just answered a question on another forum of how to make a 20mm hole in 5mm steel - piercing saw!

Not me I would head out to the shed and grab my carbide tipped hole saw, nobody has yet mentioned the New Concepts range of saws is there a reason for that or just because of the price
    Last edited by china; 29-10-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Start of the thread... Cheaper solution required.

I've barely used anything other than my assorted KC saws (I have four in various different sizes and configurations) for years, but I am going to get a Green Lion to try - purely because I know Wallace loves them, and I have huge respect for her opinion. I was put off by the waiting lists and having to import, but I suspect one will fall into a Cookie's basked pretty soon now.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I've barely used anything other than my assorted KC saws (I have four in various different sizes and configurations) for years, but I am going to get a Green Lion to try - purely because I know Wallace loves them, and I have huge respect for her opinion. I was put off by the waiting lists and having to import, but I suspect one will fall into a Cookie's basked pretty soon now.
    When i've seen video of folks using the green lion it looks a dream to use. I'm still tempted even though i've never sawed a piece of metal in my life.

Sheen, I am sure that you will buy whatever saw frame you wish, when I had a look at the green lion frame there were a couple of things I didn't like, first was the handle, it is not a round handle and when I pierce I like to spin the saw frame in my hand and a round handle is my preference, and then there is the forward projection of metal just above the lower blade screw, this might get in the way when I am piercing odd shapes, finally I don't see the point of having a curved frame.
    Just for the record I now use a KC frame for most of my piercing work, although as you can see I do have quite a large collection of saw frames that I have acquired over the past 57 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	377 Jim's saw frames.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	11636

James

I just have a really basic one:
    https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...prcode-999-735
    Works fine for me, maybe one day when Im feeling flush I might try a different one.
    Really though I think any saw would look easy in the hands of a skilled user so if I were you I would just buy a cheap one for now until you decide how much piercing you are going to do.
    My bench peg is a piece of plywood with a V cut out clamped to the bench with a G clamp,I feel like a real cheapskate now LOL
    Last edited by enigma; 30-10-2018 at 08:53 AM.