Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polishing problems using Cookson's metal barreling machine...

I've only experienced this problem once, I flushed the barrel with clean water, flushed the shot with clean water in a sieve, then placed the shot in the barrel, filled with water to just cover added the magic ingredient
    a teaspoon of washing soda (Sodium Carbonate) ran the machine for about 20 mins, flushed it all again and all was and is well

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions...I am now convinced that the shot is in fact rusty after all! I tried running the shot dry but it kept falling off the rollers! So added water with a small amount of washing up liquid...although the shot looked clean, the water was a rusty brown colour! I then ran the shot for a period of time in clean water and again the water was a rusty colour...So I've ordered new shot!

I've had this shot on the go for a while, so I've had a good run with it but looking at regularly cleaning the new shot...

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I've only experienced this problem once, I flushed the barrel with clean water, flushed the shot with clean water in a sieve, then placed the shot in the barrel, filled with water to just cover added the magic ingredient
    a teaspoon of washing soda (Sodium Carbonate) ran the machine for about 20 mins, flushed it all again and all was and is well
    I'm based in the UK...Sodium Carbonate...is this like bicarbonate of soda???

Strictly, no. Washing soda is sodium carbonate, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Many hardware stores still sell washing soda in crystal form, it's useful (ish) for drain unblocking as well as general cleaning.
    However, sodium bicarbonate might do the job (and will thermally decompose to sodium carbonate as well).

It is also worth considering stainless steel shot, which will stay bright and beautiful in storage. Dennis.

My shot is stainless so I have only needed to clean ti once, ( probably because I was lazy and did not flush it out after use)