Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing problems using Cookson's metal barreling machine...

Default Polishing problems using Cookson's metal barreling machine...

I have a Cookson’s metal barrelling starter kit (999600K), I’ve had it for some time, 4-5 years. I’m a hobbyist silversmith, so the tumbler isn’t in constant use. However, the last couple of times that I have used it, my silver has come out dull and dirty!

I am still using the same shot which looks exactly the same as when I first used it, there’s no rust or discolouration and after the first incident, I changed the water and barrelbrite.

I have googled what this could possibly be and I keep coming up with rusty shot, which I know I don’t have…!!!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated…thank you

Shot may just be dirty and need a good clean

Run the shot dry by itself for a day or so then remove and clean it on a soft towel. Clean the inside of the barrel with soapy water dry it all then tumble your silver as per your normal routine should be ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Run the shot dry by itself for a day or so then remove and clean it on a soft towel. Clean the inside of the barrel with soapy water dry it all then tumble your silver as per your normal routine should be ok then.
    I'm not sure that josef meant dry (without Barrelbrite solution). If so that might help, but I would also run it for a second time with the soap, before using it. Then rinse it in a plastic sieve and rinse the barrel.

I find it strange that we have similar problems cropping up here quite regularly, but it's never happened to me. Perhaps I'm next?. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm not sure that josef meant dry (without Barrelbrite solution). If so that might help, but I would also run it for a second time with the soap, before using it. Then rinse it in a plastic sieve and rinse the barrel.

I find it strange that we have similar problems cropping up here quite regularly, but it's never happened to me. Perhaps I'm next?. Dennis.

Never happened to me either yet. Why a plastic sieve as opposed to a stainless steel one?

Metal sieves risk the transfer of unwanted contaminants, so I'm playing safe.
    Probably over fussy, but the route to success is full of pot holes. Dennis.

I've also never had any problems with this - and I use a metal sieve with gay abandon!

I have heard that coca cola is the best thing to clean shot with after an extended period of storage. I keep my shot stored in the barrel in water - but I do use it almost daily.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I've also never had any problems with this - and I use a metal sieve with gay abandon!

I have heard that coca cola is the best thing to clean shot with after an extended period of storage. I keep my shot stored in the barrel in water - but I do use it almost daily.
    I know you've "heard" but do you think I should "soak" the shot in the coke or run it through on the barrelling machine for a cycle???

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Thanks..."attempting" to do this, however the barrel keeps rolling off the machine...it's as though there isn't enough weight to hold it on! Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Shot may just be dirty and need a good clean
    Thank you...How do you clean your shot? I've never had to do this before :/