Thread: US to drop 10ct as minimum gold fineness

Default US to drop 10ct as minimum gold fineness

https://mjsa.org/publicationsmedia/m...arat_concerns/

Upside: 9ct can be sold to the US as gold.
    Downside: So can 1ct gold...

When I buy findings in Hong Kong and ask for 9ct they sort of look at me and say 'we don't think 9ct is really gold. Least most carry is 14ct
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Lost for words, actually. Someone must benefit from this free for all, but who?

Time to re-melt my stock of Pinchbeck with an added 'pinch' of gold dust?

Note that there is a link at the bottom of Peter's link to: https://mjsa.org/publicationsmedia/m...ides_finalized

which additionally outlines the proposed changes to plating standards and gemstone descriptions.
    Last edited by Paul Kay; 19-10-2018 at 07:15 AM.

I disagree with Hallmarking laws so I don’t really have any problem with this. Why should Governments dictate what is ‘good’ gold and ‘bad’ gold? They can’t even agree among themselves…some say 10ct others 8 while another 9, it’s absurd.

There should only be laws against false or misleading descriptions and let the industry educate the public through advertising and marketing. Consumers now do a lot of their research through YouTube, they don’t consult a regulatory agency.

In Australia we do not have we do not have government Hallmarking ( despite some who think they are the only ones allowed to produce jewellery pushing to have such)
    it is up the individual jeweller to mark their items, it is a offence of fraud to mark items falsely.

The UK Hallmarking law is probably a breach of EU competition law..because it adds cost and regulation. The single market law is that once any item is legal to sell in one member state it is legal to sell in all. In the UK stuff must be marked. and that adds a layer of regulation and cost and restricts the market. It is what is known as a qualitative restriction.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk