Thread: 375(9ct) Gold: Varying tones?

Question 375(9ct) Gold: Varying tones?

I am planning on working with 375(9ct) gold very soon. There are varying tones from red gold up to yellow gold depending on the ratio of silver to copper. I plan to use what appears to be an industry standard yellow (37.5% gold, 42.5% silver, 20.0% copper). My concern is that anyone purchasing a pendant I made might have a 375 yellow gold chain with a different ratio of silver & copper.

1. Is the difference between the varying yellow gold tones obvious?
    2. Has anyone here selling jewellery ever worked with 375 yellow gold and had a customer complain about the tone?

Thanks in advance.

The difference will be subtle, but not unpleasant.
    I would suggest that if you care enough, you start with some favourite chain and then compare small samples of thin sheet, for reference, from different suppliers. Dennis

There will always be one customer but luckily they’re the exception. A woman wouldn’t buy a pair of oxidised silver pod earrings because one or 2 of the 12 sides weren’t a uniform shade. She liked that they were from nature but wouldn’t accept any variation

I've read in more than one place that jewellery manufacturers keep their alloy mix "a closely guarded secret". Who are they kidding? The LAO has a laboratory service which offers "complete compositional analysis of metal alloys: for gold, silver, platinum, palladium and other elements, using X-ray fluorescence spectrometry (XRF)."