Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with welding system

Default Help needed with welding system

good evening... crying for help please!!! I have (do not shoot straight) roxy kit for welding. it's good but oxygent lasts abt 1-2 weeks a bottle with very little use every day... and costs a lot too!!! I am tired of it... Question one , do i use it wrongly ( I am using small nozzles to reduce amount of gas leaving ) , or question two do I need urgently to change my welding system? if yes then what could you all recommend? I have small workshop in a shed at the end of garden so not in the main house if this will affect choice! I am not technical and my husband too... so feel puzzled and lost, I am worried I will buy something totally wrong again and loose money again. i have tried to find way to use oxy turbo bottles on rothenberger but it seems impossible as system made only to be used with.really appreciate any advise. Thank you!

To give any practical advice more information is required e.g. what are you welding/soldering, material thickness, in general the small hobby type units do not last very long.
    Last edited by china; 24-07-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Check out this gas torch; https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-blow-t...torch-kit.html ,it is a useful addition to your toolkit with various size changeable nozzles, that give different flame sizes and this gas torch can handle most soldering and annealing jobs.

James

I had a similar kit when I was in France as I couldn't get compatible bottles for the Smiths torch there.
    The oxygen doesn't last long although 1-2 weeks seems very short.
    Ive since bought a Smiths torch and have it on standard large propane and oxygen cylinders which are just over 2 years old now and still have plenty in, I think the oxygen cylinder cost me around £50.
    I had a sievert previously and I know some people like them but I hated it, you have to have a much bigger flame for everything because of the lower heat of working solely on gas.

thank you . I use mainly for small silver works or brass, or copper (rings /earrings) , as I have not started working with gold yet... but my gas becomes golden instead...

Thank you so much I will investigate Smiths torch , what kind of propane and oxygen do you use pls? I am really fed up with Roxy, agree 2 weeks not good anough although I did a lot of small welding on my little silver nest ring.... but still ...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Check out this gas torch; https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-blow-t...torch-kit.html ,it is a useful addition to your toolkit with various size changeable nozzles, that give different flame sizes and this gas torch can handle most soldering and annealing jobs.

James
    James, many thanks. WAHt type of gas should go with that torch pls? and would they have small nozzles too?

That one is rigged to run from propane; that is the small nozzle, with the correct neck tube on it you can run much bigger burners too.

The Rothenberger cans are probably the most expensive way to buy O2 around - from memory, I think 15 minutes in an oxygen bar was more economical. Those of use using oxy/fuel use either oxygen concentrators (filtering out the nitrogen from the air) or much larger O2 bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    That one is rigged to run from propane; that is the small nozzle, with the correct neck tube on it you can run much bigger burners too.

The Rothenberger cans are probably the most expensive way to buy O2 around - from memory, I think 15 minutes in an oxygen bar was more economical. Those of use using oxy/fuel use either oxygen concentrators (filtering out the nitrogen from the air) or much larger O2 bottles.
    Peter many thanks for input.... pls can you specify what you mean by Oxygen concetrators? sorry I am totally not gas person so learning it all...

Usually ex-medical stock - big box, mains powered, puts out around 95% O2 at low pressure. Adequate for running smaller oxy/fuel torches; I think some of the lampworkers use them with larger torches too. Tuffnell glass & Cooksons sell them in the UK.

The Sievert is a good torch too, and doesn't need additional O2 - it has a larger flame and runs slightly cooler, but it's still more than adequate for gold & silver.