Thread: Finding gemstones for channel setting

Default Finding gemstones for channel setting

I recently had an enquiry about making an eternity ring. I turned it down because I’ve really got very little experience of stone setting, but it led me to think I should try and learn.

I looked at Cooksongold at the half and full eternity ring blanks. I saw some which stated they were suitable for 2.4mm diameter or square stones in their channels however I’ve struggled to find any 2.4mm stones - I seem to be able to find plenty of 2 or 2.5 stones but not 2.4?

Ideally I thought if I bought a sterling blank and stones which are not too expensive then I could practice without bankrupting myself!

Any ideas on what reputable places I could try and source the stones? I’ve looked on Cookson and Kernowcrafts so far.....

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most peoples' experience is that the settings have only a vague relationship to the sizes quoted, so it is extremely difficult to match stones for ready mades.

However if you get a selection of CZs, which are cheap to buy, you will get some experience of setting them and determine which sizes truly fit.

When you finally want some diamonds, AE Ward are the go-to company for professionals in London. Dennis.

Take Dennis' suggestion and check out AE Ward. Currently they have 2.4mm Round White CZs at £2 ea or £0.10 ea for 100 at a 95% discount (so a tenner for 100 practice stones!). Those prices will be chopped by 50% once you open a 'Trade' account with them, so your 100 practices will be a fiver. https://www.wardgemstones.com/2-4mm-...nia-white.html

Fantastic! Thanks for your help Dennis & Paul :-)

I’ll certainly check out Wards for my practice CZs - and who knows maybe diamonds in the future!

Thanks - Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk