Thread: What size jump ring for gold charms? 10k - 22k

Default What size jump ring for gold charms? 10k - 22k

What is the sturdiest size jump ring for a gold charm bracelet? Preferably a solderless option as there are over 50+ spots that would need solder. I was recommended 14k split rings 5mm OD, Gauge/thickness .039" x .012" but they are quite flimsy I find. Already tore off a few charms with those jump rings. If it needs solder to be sturdy then so be it.

Any advice or suggestions?

You mention split rings, but they are not jump rings. They are like miniature key rings. They can look OK, but they tend not to return to their compact shape once opened, so I don't use them much.

Now to jump rings. A cleanly cut jump ring can be closed almost invisibly, by using sideways movements, to preserve their roundness. They are easy enough to wind around a rod and cut with a saw.
    How thick should they be, if not soldered? Well the thickest you can manage, given the size: so for a 5.00mm jump ring use about 1.00mm diameter wire. That is 0.0393701 inches.

Obviously charms on a bracelet are more likely to come off. For charms used as pendants or earrings, you can make them a little thinner, at your own risk, of course. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 09-10-2018 at 01:00 PM.

There are also locking jump rings (under various names like click lock, snap lock and jump lock etc) which I've never tried, but some people seem to like. I would never use split rings on jewellery - they look dreadful and are not at all robust IMO.

For a gold bracelet, however, I'd tend to bite the bullet and solder the joins.

Thank you Dennis and mizgeorge!

You are absolutely right about the split rings. They look ok (at best) and were tediously difficult to try to reshape once they'd been opened.

Will definitely be looking into making my own out of 1mm wire.

Should I be using 9k for more strength or would any purity suffice?

Also does anyone have experience with the snap lock/click lock rings?

I think though after the advice I've received I'll either purchase some 1mm wire or premade 1mm thick jump rings, possibly having them soldered aswell.

Thank you both again!!

The locking rings I bought out of curiosity, looked particularly nasty, so I never used them.
    It's not necessary to change carats; better to keep them matching in colour. However if you do decide to solder them, then you can go down to about 0.80mm wire. Dennis.