Thread: Quick Q about materials

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quick Q about materials

Apologies if not if the right place I am asking this Q. I have project on my table to do alongside my jewellery course I am doing. I need for it some wood. So was wondering any suggestions where I could source it? I was looking on ebay today plently of drift wood? ( would it be good as polished and wax treated? ) or any otehr places I do not know? pls can you share? I am hoping to find nice textured piece of wood approx 6-8 mm in square...

Hi Anna. Driftwood won’t polish and is by its very nature a natural finish having been in the sea.

It depends on colour or what you have in your mind. Are you sure it is only 6 to 8 mm you are looking for, that is very small to achieve texture in wood?
    I don’t know where you are doing your course but is there a furniture design dept or any woodturners, furniture makers? They will have small offcuts of more unusual woods they would probably be happy to give you. Without knowing what you have in mind I can’t think what else to offer. Hope this helps Caroline

Suppliers of exotic hard woods for hobbyists come and go, so I would suggest you google exotic hardwood offcuts, and other combinations of key words, see here: https://www.google.com/search?client....0.7hjHxA9CTcA Dennis.

Thank you Caroline and Dennis, this is what I was after.... I have never worked with driftwood so now I have some search direction, was promised to get some help with woodcuts but trying to do my independent search too! TX again .. I will put item on pic when and if will be done!!! haha