Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personalised Engraving

Default Personalised Engraving

Hi,

I'd like to ask on everyone's opinion of personalised engraving on pre owned jewellery.

I've found some lovely items of pre owned jewellery however they are personalised.

Would be great to give older/unused items new life but the personalisation has no meaning to me and feels bit odd wearing jewellery with other people's names engraved on it.

On the other side, removing the engraving also doesn't seem right.

Is it a case of steering clear of these items? Leave the engraving and enjoy the piece or be it with someone else's name? Or am I being over sensitive and just have the engraving removed?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I suppose its just like having a tattoo covered up if you do a good job of it it will enhance the piece ?

Change your name so that it matches the jewellery?

Thanks for your non helpful response

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I suppose its just like having a tattoo covered up if you do a good job of it it will enhance the piece ?
    Good shout ��

Only you can probably answer your question.
    If you are buying because you liked it and intend to wear it then I’m not sure there’s a problem.
    If you are buying to sell on then that is a problem as silver with monograms is difficult to sell on unless you do have the same initials and it’ll be up to the individual whether they mind wearing something with someone else’s hidden inscription
    It’s not really the area of expertise for the designer makers here who are making from scratch and not trading on others work

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Change your name so that it matches the jewellery?
    Made me laugh anyway!

You seem very negative AD4M or am I missing something ? The forum is a community just be nice.

Don't think you will get too many positive responses with with that attitude AD4M

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    You seem very negative AD4M or am I missing something ? The forum is a community just be nice.
    I was looking for help and advice not sarcastic responses. Helpfulness creates contacts and generates business. How is that negative?