Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget friendly tumbler

Well, I was joking with the explosion, but I was worried about the pressure from too much lather. I might have overestimated the tumbler's lather-making abilities, not to mention that considering its purpose it must be made to be able to deal with some bubbles.
    Tumbler is on now, I'm curious as to what the results are going to be.

For now I'm probably better off paying for relatively small amounts of everything. I live in a very small flat, so I consider the extra money spent as money spent on home decor, in the sense that less clutter makes for a nicer living space and/or less necessity for new, creative storage solutions.

We're on the same page re rouge. It's clearly a polarising topic, but I honestly can't see a reason to use it, especially for a beginner, considering not only how messy it is to deal with, but also how it's an additional, and yet easily avoidable, health hazard. Since I'm on that, I'm very confused as to why platinol is so hard to get and not particularly popular, while LOS is widely available, despite the very significant amounts of hydrogen sulfide that it releases. It seems crazy to me.

Update:
    45 minutes and 1 tumbler leakage later, my pieces are beautifully silver with no hint of yellow! Thank you, I'm ecstatic!
    I'll make sure to triple check my barrel is well sealed next time.
    Last edited by JaneDoe; 15-10-2018 at 07:54 PM.

I had to do some more troubleshooting over the past few days. Not only was the silver still yellowing (I got rid of it with the help of silver cleaner, so I assume it was tarnish after all), but the barrel also kept leaking and/or bulging out.

I'm writing this in case someone has a similar issue in the future and is struggling to find the answer.

I have found a magnitude of contradictory advice and explanations for all of that over the internet and after lots and lots of reading and some experimenting I am no longer experiencing the problems (I have tested it multiple times).
    What helped was using soft bottled water (I'll be trying distilled water over the weekend), and lowering the PH of the solution. Changing the water stopped the pressure issues/bulging out, but my silver would still look yellow. It's been coming out with no discolouration whatsoever after I made an experiment and used feminine wash. Those have slightly acidic PH.

I have come across the information that steel shot should be used with slightly acidic PH, as opposed to ceramic one which apparently works best with slightly alkaline one. I can't know if this is correct, but seems to have worked for me. I wish I had more chemistry knowledge and significantly more time, to be able to actually understand why those things work the way they do. There appears to be a lot of confusion along with many radical, contradictory opinions about what works best and why.

Oh well.

Well, confused or not, you seem to have dealt with the discolouration.
    If you are using a Lortone tumbler and it is leaking, then make sure that the gasket and lid are lubricated with some of the solution, so that they go home completely and that there is no shot in the way to stop them. Dennis.