Thread: Two tone brushed and polished ring

Default Two tone brushed and polished ring

Hello!

I am making a ring which is 6mm wide, which has two grooves around the circumference of the ring dividing it up into three sections. I'm trying to give the centre section a brushed matte finish, and the outside sections a highly polished finish.

My approach so far has been to give the whole ring a highly polished finish, slide the ring onto a mandrel, attempt to cover the outer sections with sellotape and then use wire wool to give a brushed finish to the centre section. I've been having issues with, firstly getting the sellotape in exactly the right place, and then the wire wool starts pulling the sellotape out of the way so I get the brushed texture in places I dont want it.

I'm sure there's a better way of doing it, so would love to hear your thoughts on how to do two different finishes right next to each other.
    Last edited by swiftpint; 24-09-2018 at 12:12 PM.

I use masking tape , much better for masking off areas and either scotchbrite mops or my preference is the sponge sanding pads from Cookson. Having said that as it’s a rings with wear and tear perhaps a brass brush finish. I would probably do the texture first and then mask 2 thirds high polish that side, mask the other 2 thirds and polish the other side of that makes sense

Thanks for the response Caroline!

Work got very busy so I've only just had a chance to log back in! I've got some time this evening so will try your approach. Doing the brushed finish first followed by the polishing certainly makes sense.

Thanks!