Thread: Disc making help

Question Disc making help

Hi everyone
    I am new to the forum my name is Lauren. I am starting up a little business on the side of personalised jewellery and so far I have been successful with sourcing products. I have found rose gold to be popular requests and wondered if anyone can help, I have two questions, if I make the discs myself from sheet is red gold the same as rose gold?
    If I stamp small 10mm discs, and it’s rose gold filled will it expose the bond metal once cut and if so how do I hide the exposure (I have no clue) the site is like a minefield to a beginner like myself, it says a 10cm x 15cm sheet is £2000+ Is this right?
    I would purchase ready made discs if they were available but cookson only sells in gold filled and silver. Can anyone help me please? Thank you for your time. Lauren.

Hi Lauren and welcome to the forum.
    For all intents, rose and red are interchangeable and refer to the addition of extra copper. Colours will vary between suppliers.
    Solid gold is eyewateringly expensive, but filled gold is too fragile for stamping, without exposing the inner metal. Same goes for cutting disks, which will expose the layers. So if you want perfection the only remedy is finally to get the items plated.
    You might also consider sourcing ready made disks on Etsy, or Rio Grande Jewellery supplies. Stamping would sill disrupt the finish to a degree, but done carefully, only in the lettering, causing it to darken with time. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-09-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Hi Dennis I have private messeged you hope you can help me

Hi Lauren,
    I gather from your PM that you are stuck over converting American gauges to mm. I have replied here, so that other members can participate and correct me if I get it wrong.

I do feel that you might reconsider importing gold at all, because you will be paying a much higher price for it.
    Cooksons have red gold in 9ct and 18ct, which should suit you perfectly well. Regards, Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gauge convertion.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-10-2018 at 10:11 PM.