Thread: A tight fit

Default A tight fit

This is one i finished last week. It is copper and silver,kind of obvious i know. It took a little bit of fiddling to get the silver one nice and tight in the copper one. It has a really good weight to it. This is my first one like this so any pointers or constructive criticism would be appreciated. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF792194-F19E-4A5C-A61E-2EF6ED3CE42D.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	11583

That's a really good job and I hope whoever gets it will enjoy wearing it.

We have talked about rings with this combination in the past and the conclusion was that for anyone sensitive to the possible electrical effect of skin against two metals, the silver might be left wider and then folded over the copper at the edges with a doming punch.

Thank you for posting, Dennis.

I agree. The ring looks really good. As I have been experimenting with using these two metals together I am interested to know more about the electrical effect mentioned by Dennis. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Well, my school physics was rather a long time ago, but when two dissimilar metals are connected by an electrolyte such as sweat or other liquids, an electrical current passes from the one lower in the periodic table, to the higher one. This cause small amounts of the lower metal to be deposited on the higher one, so negating the shielding effect of the bi-metal ring.

By taking the silver over the copper edges, this effect will not be prevented, but occur away from skin contact. Dennis.

Thanks for the replies. I had never heard of that electrical effect, affect? I will keep that in mind for the next one. I think it might look good with silver folded up and over.