Thread: good monitor for photo editing?

Default good monitor for photo editing?

I would like to spend some more time and effort on photo editing. The 13 inch screen on my Dell XPS laptop is good quality but rather small for use of Lightroom. I am thinking of getting a good desktop monitor, say 24 inch for photo editing and general use. There is a bewildering choice out there and it's hard to get an idea of the sweet point of price vs performance.

The more expensive monitors boast of things I don't fully understand the benefit of like different colour gammuts etc. My old A3+ photo printers is dead and drivers not available for current Windows, I will get a good replacement sometime in the future, so although ability to colour match is not needed now it will be later.

My laptop will display 1920x1080 but can support monitors with much higher resolutions - Will these higher resolutions be beneficial on a 24 inch monitor?

Any help, guidance, experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I have friend who is a professional photographer she uses a Dell UP321K bear in mind that if it is not for professional use, then a professional unit is a waste of money and good home monitor would suffice
    currently 4k is all the rage, 99% of people cannot see the 4k resolution.
    Manufactures are producing higher and higher resolution because they can, this is great for sales staff, although in reality we can't see it.
    With any monitor it is worth having it professionally calibrated

Rather than get a monitor, I Would get an all in one computer, like a Lenovo, so that you have everything to hand for your editing.

If you need to print your results, you will obviously have to take more care with calibration. If you are just going to post to websites, then what people see will be down to the quality of their own devices, so you cannot calibrate for this. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    I would like to spend some more time and effort on photo editing. The 13 inch screen on my Dell XPS laptop is good quality but rather small for use of Lightroom. I am thinking of getting a good desktop monitor, say 24 inch for photo editing and general use. There is a bewildering choice out there and it's hard to get an idea of the sweet point of price vs performance.

The more expensive monitors boast of things I don't fully understand the benefit of like different colour gammuts etc. My old A3+ photo printers is dead and drivers not available for current Windows, I will get a good replacement sometime in the future, so although ability to colour match is not needed now it will be later.

My laptop will display 1920x1080 but can support monitors with much higher resolutions - Will these higher resolutions be beneficial on a 24 inch monitor?
    Without getting too technical, the screen size is generally a function of viewing distance. See this article: Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

Ultimately, your camera is going to determine the resolution of your pictures and photo editing software (even basic ones) allow you to zoom in to see finer details of your photos on whatever screen you are using so (IMO) you don't really need any higher resolution than your laptop can currently display.

If you took a picture at a resolution of 1920x1080 then at 1:1 it will fill the entire screen of a 1920 x 1080 monitor. If you display the same picture on a 4K monitor which is nothing more than 2 x HD Horizontal and 2 x HD Vertical then it will only fill one quarter of the screen. You would then need to zoom in 2:1 to fill the screen...absolutely nothing gained because the photo is still only at 1920 x 1080...does this make sense?

Yes, I agree with you, maybe I don't need that high resolution.

Dear NicholasPage, All new information is of course welcome, and might be useful to others, but you will see from the dates above that this thread is now rather old, and the person who posted it will have long departed. Dennis.