Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What torch?

Default What torch?

Hello everyone, I'm after some advice on torches.

I currently use a Dremel hand torch. I started making jewellery 18months ago and then it seemed like a good option but I would like to upgrade. What do you use?

i think I could do with something that gives a little more heat but also smothing with a finer point flame. Any advice appreciated.

We have a search function on the forum that will provide you with answers - there's not really much to say about the subject that hasn't already been covered.

I searched the forum for this and again this morning. The results are pretty disheartening and even more so
    for someone new, who would have to open numerous old threads, only to find nothing of use.

In fact without wishing to give offence, the search function and advanced search functions on this forum are a disgrace and need serious attention.

In the mean time, Here is a torch thread I have book marked and a page on google, parts at the bottom of which might be useful:

https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9439

https://www.google.com/search?q=torc...ient=firefox-b
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    In fact without wishing to give offence, the search function and advanced search functions on this forum are a disgrace and need serious attention.
    The advanced search function is particularly diabolical, I agree (which is why I tend to advocate the use of google instead for more complex queries). But "which torch" has been done to death on many occasions - using that as a basic search gets 243 results, as does "what torch", "new torch"; "newbie torch" gets 307 (probably 308 now).

When i had a forum (over a decade ago) I imported a new search box into the forum as i had the same problem; the search engine that came with it was dire. You might be able to install a google search. Might be worth the effort as the lack of a good search on the actual forum page is bound to be putting potential members off.

I haven't looked at vBulletin code in a long time - I'll have a look around and see what modules are worth suggesting as a replacement.

Scarlet, I'm by NO means an expert on the subject (just a hobbyist), but I'll add my .02 anyway...

I started out with a butane torch and it served my purposes at the time. As I ventured into thicker/larger pieces, I realized I needed something more powerful, so I ordered the Smith Little Torch NOT REALIZING that $100 I just spent was just the bare bones and I'd need to spend more (a LOT more) for regulators/bottles to have a workable torch.

it's still in the box, unused. I was so frustrated I stopped altogether and moved on to a different hobby.

Forward 10 years and I got the "playing with fire" bug again, did my research, and bought the Orca Torch w/ the disposable propane bottle connection. I know it's not the most popular, preferred torch, but it suits my needs (comes with 3 tips)...I've soldered everything from small jump rings to an 18g copper recipe card box without any problems, and I don't have to keep large bottles of gas/oxy in my studio. IIRC, I paid $109+shipping for it.

It's an option!

Not sure if you have a workshop Scarlet, but if you do solder in a safe area check out this Sievert torch set; https://gasproducts.co.uk/sievert-pr...torch-kit.html ,as you can fit various size flame tips to this torch it can handle most size jobs, I have used an older version for many years now. when you get more experienced you may want to move on to the more expensive oxy/propane torch set ups.
    Propane gas is available in many size bottles, here is a link; https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bot...s-bottles.html .

James

Well we are into Sievert v. Orca. The orca is similar, but provides an adjustment ring, to reduce the air flow and give a softer flame when required. On the Sievert, I have seen a demonstrator use fingers-ouch.
    Both of course need a source of gas. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I haven't looked at vBulletin code in a long time - I'll have a look around and see what modules are worth suggesting as a replacement.
    That would be great