Thread: Question about Keum boo

Default Question about Keum boo

What can be used to secure gold over a very textured surface? I’m thinking some type of a stainless brush. Part of me wants to try my brass brush, but I’m sure the heat would cause the strands to melt! .

I am relatively new to Keum Boo, others may have better info, the heat used with Keum Boo will not even come close to melting a brass brash, normally you lay the foil on
    the piece and gently polish it down with a agate burnisher, I would be concerned a metal brush would damage the foil.

I’d never contemplate using a brush because you’re supposed to be bonding the gold to the silver. For textured areas I’ve used a fine metal burnisher such as this https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...her&channel=uk when the agate hasn’t been fine enough. You could adapt any tool / bit of metal to roll into crevices. I use my doming punches for domes

The foil is very fragile and a wire brush would decimate it. The burnisher needs to be smooth as recommended by Caroline.

A small one could be made from the neck of a burr with the head broken off, shaped and polished, as used for flush setting. You would need a universal wooden handle for it. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fs2 Burnisher for Flush Set Stones.jpg  

I have never tried Keum Boo but have been reading up on the subject recently as it sounds like a lovely technique. Some have suggested a fibreglass brush is good for pushing the foil into the small crevices of a textured surface but have no personal experience to be able to verify this works!

Thanks to those who responded to this query...I’ve had a hiatus in using Keum boo, but will be returning to it soon. I am exploring using a fiberglass scratch brush...

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Tess