Thread: silhouette dies

Default silhouette dies

Hi all, I've noticed that silhouette dies for press forming are hard to come by (impossible) in the uk, and I've not been particularly successful in making my own using 10mm thick acrylic and sawing out the shape (also, it has to be THE most tedious activity known to man). So, I'm wondering what other people do and also if anyone knows what the costs are likely to be of getting them laser cut. I know I could just buy direct from USA and take the cost on the chin - but, not the most appealing idea as far as the bank balance goes! Any ideas gratefully received.

Sue, you don't need such thick material. 4-5mm is usually thick enough.
    If you want to strengthen the form for repeated use, then you can superglue or screw a 0.8mm piece of brass to the top before cutting.

Also unless you have a box to contain it, squares of neoprene in various thicknesses from Pentonville Rubber work better than urethane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Non-conforming die.jpg   teddybear.jpg  

Thanks Dennis, I'll have a go with thinner - think I was going with thicker so as not to let it bottom out (flat bottoms not being fashionable-tee hee). Thanks for the tip on neoprene, and the brass. I like your pink eyed teddy, is it a christening present?
    Also, apologies for posting in wrong bit, probably should have been in 'ask the experts' bit.
    Sue

It's actually a brooch, Sue and if you pull its cord, the eyes ogle. The front was formed in two parts and soldered together.

Thicker than 5-6 mm acrylic and your silver is more likely to burst than bottom out. What remains is only fit for scrap, so go slowly and keep annealing. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. I can’t tell you just how much I wish you had a video of the ogly eye, cord pulling thing to show!

That is interesting Dennis I have never tried neoprene, I am in the process of building a new press, will have to get some neoprene

Yes, everyone slavishly gets urethane, as advised for the Bonnie Doon process, but it expands sideways like dough and needs a box to contain it. Neoprene works well on its own, cut into small rectangles.

I keep three thicknesses, according to how deep my pressing is to be. The shallowest is 1.5mm and is good for defining the edges. The others are 3.25 and 6.5.

Sometimes I cut a little piece to go into the hollow, to continue. The trick is knowing when to stop. Dennis.

I found urethane only needs confining for very deep pressing, personally. Got a 6" square block on my press that works well. Neoprene is much cheaper though (and easier to locate in the UK).

I am going to use neoprene as Dennis suggested, but just out of curiosity Peter - wherever did you get your urethane from, it doesn't appear to be readily available in the UK.