Thread: Scorper engraving

Default Scorper engraving

Hi everyone,
    I really would like to start trying my hand at engraving with a scorper, i was wondering if i would be able to set stones on a ring using the engraving technique after drilling the holes, if so can anyone suggest the size scorper i would need for a 2mm band? im setting the band with 1.5mm stones. Thanks

I dont think anyone would use scorpers to prepare settings for 1.5mm diameter stones, either flush, or in tubes.

Its a good idea to start with slightly undersigned ball burrs, which are cheaper to replace and perfect the seats with stone setting burrs.

The stones should fit well enough before setting, so that they don't fall out when turned upside down.
    You will need callipers and probably head band magnification, to get this right. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I dont think anyone would use scorpers to prepare settings for 1.5mm diameter stones, either flush, or in tubes.

Its a good idea to start with slightly undersigned ball burrs, which are cheaper to replace and perfect the seats with stone setting burrs.

The stones should fit well enough before setting, so that they don't fall out when turned upside down.
    You will need callipers and probably head band magnification, to get this right. Dennis.
    Thanks dennis x I asked because i saw a tutorial on youtube of someone pave setting diamonds in a eternity ring, however he seemed to be using 2-3mm stones. He cut the holes for the stones and cut the seats with a setting burr, then used a round edge scorper to do the pave cutting, then set the stones and it looked fantastic. Ideally id like to do something with the 1.5mm diamonds i have here, but i also have 2-2.5 and a few 3mm ones i can use.

Yes you raise grains for pave setting with a scorper and then push them over and round them with a grain tool.

My eyes would not be up to that without a microscope but luckily it is not a look I want to reproduce. Dennis.