Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kay View Post
I totally disagree, following a trend need not mean copying others, nor equate to cheap. Nor do you need to aim for bulk, low-priced items as the OPs 'friend' suggests.

You can follow a trend and still retain your own style and design ethics in your own interpretation of a trend and sell at a price that reflects the time and material costs and profit margin desired.

e.g. the annual Pantone colour of the year trends for a while, and if popular remains on trend throughout the year. Rose Gold is currently a massive trend but interpreted in their own style by many different designers. Likewise the current trend for 'dainty' pendants both singularly and 'layered' is huge. If your own style could accommodate all three examples, then well-marketed you'd have a chance at a hit product. Of course, if you end up designing on on-trend item that everyone wants to buy, then it's time to bulk up your production, but for that get a production assistant onboard and you, yourself, should carry on with your designing.

A good way to stay up to speed with trends is the weekly Trend section of BenchPeg; https://benchpeg.com/trends

Now, I'll admit, you may find some of the trends they report on a bit weird, I do, but it's a good place to start.
I maybe worded myself wrongly but for me to follow a trend would be following others ideas not necessarily the work. No matter how much of yourself you’re putting into the design it would still be on trend and then it wouldn’t be a one off piece.
I don’t know anyone who buys my work because it’s on trend but because it’s individual. I suppose it depends on what market you want to sell to.