Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makers mark stamps

Default Makers mark stamps

Thought I'd get a couple of additional stamps made up in different sizes for me to use on things that don't need a hallmark - like my non-precious mokume mixes, for example.

Googled around a bit and found Baxter and Eyre (who I'm pretty sure I've used in the past); gave them full details on what was required, what metals were being marked etc. and requested a quote.

"I regret we will not be able to help with this"

Huh? Nothing else, just that.

Not hugely impressed.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I had a run in with them a few years ago. Wasn't happy about the experience either. He later wrote a reply which, he said he had been going though some 'issues'. Not sure he has resolved them, but at least your reply it was to the point without going into the reasons behind it, and without making you feel stupid.

ps bond.....we've have punchmaking facilities on site here. PM me what you'd like and I'll give you a quote.

Do you want it the same as your sponsor mark?

I know Steve - was shopping around to see if I could source it for less; I had assumed you outsourced punchmaking.

We used to outsource some back in the day until we were unable to find anyone who could do it up to the quality we needed. We always did a bit in house, but now we do them all in house! I'm sure you will probably be able to source for less as our punches have to be top quality in order to give the best possible mark definition, but if you get stuck, I'm always happy to give you a quote....

Talk about a blast from the past...

I just received an abusive email from John Baxter of Eyre and Baxter:

I have today been referred to your review of this decaying business on Google, for what possible use that might be.

I of course had no idea that we have a splendid score of 1.8 out of 5 for our service – we really must try harder.

You wrote quite an extensive review of the exchanges via e-mail as below and concluded that our business was useless – you may well be right , I believe that it is now beyond the point of no return.

However, looking at the enquiry it is obvious that it was for what we might describe as silversmith’s stamps or jeweller’s touch marks.

We do not make small touch marks, and furthermore our website does not include them in the list of stamps that we do make, and none of the photographs show a single small steel stamp of this type.

It therefore seemed a reasonable response to say “I regret that we will not be able to help with this” – it could have been ignored with no response of course, or I could have just put “Sorry no” … or maybe “Sorry but not our type of work” … or maybe “I regret that we are just too busy at the moment to be able to offer a quotation”. Take your pick. Perhaps I should edit the website and add NO JEWELLERS OR SILVERSMITH’S STAMPS SUPPLIED.

Unfortunately my accurate response was not enough for you so you then came back with the language of an irate schoolmistress with your “Really? Why ever not ?“ and then go on to tell me how easy it might be to make these stamps … How dare you suggest that making very small accurate steel indenting stamps is so bloody easy – tell that to our hand engraver with his 50 years plus of experience !

The real answer to your enquiry should have been “No thanks, not on your life – not the slightest bit interested in making small one-off hand stamps that probably end up costing me more than I will get paid” – NOT the sort of work that we were looking for !

So perhaps you would like to review your review and reduce our score to 0 out of 5 …. And it will not affect the way the world tilts one iota.

All people care about is getting something for the lowest possible price in the shortest possible time – and then tell you that the product is rubbish maybe !

Thanks at least to the person called RAVEN on the Google reviews who has given us 5 stars …. Obviously we did actually supply what she needed.

In addition to Raven we have many thousands of satisfied customers who are using our stamps, and hopefully will be for many years to come…. Just not many silversmiths or jewellers.
    I did promise I'd share it...

?! Wow, talk about 'issues'.... Clearly hasn't resolved them then.

Maybe a visit to Specsavers is in order.