Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shears or pliers for solder.

I had to buy new shears from Cookson recently pretty much like James’s. they have a spring which I don’t particularly like but are so sharp they would cut paper. https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...ars&channel=uk
    I’ve never rolled my solder, I did once and then couldn’t judge how much I needed so just cut up the middle of hard solder sometimes 3 times and snip off pallions

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I use standard metal shears, but when cutting hard solder pallions I saw pierce down the strip first so that I get nice flat pallions.

Attachment 11518

James
    Doh! Just tried it. That needs to be the #1 tip in every book and video where soldering is concerned. Thank you, thank you, triple thank you, James

Thank you for your suggestions. :-) I always find it a minefield when trying to decide on new tools (or replacing old ones) as there's so much choice. I wonder sometimes whether it's best to spend more or whether that's not strictly necessary to get good quality. I was tempted to buy some Gilbow shears but they'll be getting on for £30 so perhaps a cheaper pair will be just as good for what I need.

Many tool suppliers exist to part you with your hard-earned. There's a huge difference between what is the essential tool for the job and what is nice to have.
    FWIW - Gilbows here too. I've got some larger old ones I picked up second-hand that are fantastic too - they keep on performing.

You need to be able to cut really small pallions and guard them with your index finger, so that they can be deposited safely into a dish.

This means that the smallest slimmest ones that are up to the job is what to choose. Shears are easy to re sharpen with a fine cut file, although they dont need that very often.
    If the screw becomes loose, it can bet tightened and set by tapping with a hammer on a steel block.

Side cutters might do the job initially, but when they become blunt or snagged, there is little leeway for sharpening, before they cease to meet. Hardened cutters such as Mauns are too clumsy for this. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I use standard metal shears, but when cutting hard solder pallions I saw pierce down the strip first so that I get nice flat pallions.

Attachment 11518

James
    Ooo look at that nice neat saw line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I favour the Xuron scissor cutters - very easy to cut lots of small pallions - and as good as when I bought them several years ago. Bought these very early on after trying the college traditional shears which were useless.

I use solder wire and cut it with wire cutters - I've found it a lot easier and quicker to deal with than strips.
    Sally

Argentium solder comes as wire too; no choice. The problem is that its easily mixed up and difficult to identity then. Dennis.

I keep the main pieces in marked ziplock bags and the chopped up bits in marked contact lens cases - as long as I don't have two coils out at any one time to chop up - I'm okay!