Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shears or pliers for solder.

Default Shears or pliers for solder.

Hi - I've decided I need some better shears for cutting my hard solder paillons as mine are old and rubbish now! I don't know whether to try the solder pliers that Cooksongold have with the yellow handles. Do they cut well? Or don't know whether to go for some shears instead, although there are a few different options to choose from so I'm not sure what are the best quality. I just want something that cuts really well as I don't roll my solder strips before cutting them as I haven't got a rolling mill. What does anyone else use to cut their solder? Thank you.

I use standard metal shears, but when cutting hard solder pallions I saw pierce down the strip first so that I get nice flat pallions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10a Hard silver solder cut into pallions copy.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	11518

James

They look nice and neat for sure! I hadn't thought about saw piercing first - I've just used my shears to nip in 3 or 4 parallel cuts and then snip across those to make my little pieces, but the narrow strips do tend to curl up when I cut with my rubbish shears, so perhaps I should saw pierce instead and invest in some high quality shears instead. Mine are ancient now and are chewing up the solder so they've had it. I was tempted to try the solder pliers, but I didn't want to waste money on them if they aren't so good.

These are my solder cutting shears, I have had them for many years, they are similar to these cheapies ; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Straight-Je...l+shears+snips

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40 shears.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	11523

James

Yes, get what James recommends. The pliers you mention will drive you mad if you need more than one or two pallions.

I have also taken to piercing strips first, as James has shown, for much neater pallions. Dennis.

Thanks both. :-) Funnily enough those are exactly the type I have. Although I bought them 22 years ago when I started my silversmithing course. I sharpened them a bit and tightened the screw as they seemed 'loose' but they still seem to be chewing up my solder so I thought perhaps it was time for some more and that it would be worth investing in some swanky ones instead. Although you seem to be doing well with yours. Perhaps I just need a new pair of the same like you have and I'll be fine if I saw pierce my solder strips first. I don't think I'll bother with the pliers then Dennis - thank you for your advice. :-)

Actually those Amazon ones do look better than mine, even though they are virtually the same and certainly worth a try at that price!

I use side cutters because unlike shears, the cutting blades of side cutters come together and give a neater cut, much less likely to chew.

My 2p worth...I am not a professional...still a novice...

Good idea. :-) I'll give it a go.

I use shears as in Jame's photo Gilbow Jewellers shears 7"(Sheffield) they belonged to my father, they still cut like new, all shears will tend to curl the cuts, more noticeable on narrow strips just flatten with a hammer