Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little blob ring

Default Little blob ring

Hi, I want to make one of those rings that have a simple band then a silver or gold 'blob' / perfectly round ball of metal where you would usually put a stone (example attached). Does anyone know how this is done?! Ive tried searching for a YouTube tutorial but haven't a clue what to call it.. thank you!!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

If you know how to make the rings, then you can buy one hole beads from Cookson and solder them on.
    VVASO1A, NBQSO3A, NEQSO4A
    To keep beads in place for soldering add little prongs to the rings.

Beware that they might take in water or pickle when quenched, so to stop them exploding if re heated the three must be added at the same time, or have small vent holes made out of sight if soldered one at a time.

Vent holes also allow you to boil the finished piece in bicarbonate solution, to neutralise any absorbed pickle and prevent it affecting the wearer.

One thing leads to another, so you might use something benign such as hot alum solution as your pickle. Dennis

Thanks so much Dennis. 1 hole beads seem a lot simpler idea than what was going through my head!! And thank you for the tips :-)

You can also make the balls yourself by melting a small amount of gold and letting it spin into a ball shape although you are likely to get some tiny air bubbles in it and it may not be perfectly round.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanneMary92 View Post
    Hi, I want to make one of those rings that have a simple band then a silver or gold 'blob' / perfectly round ball of metal where you would usually put a stone (example attached). Does anyone know how this is done?! Ive tried searching for a YouTube tutorial but haven't a clue what to call it.. thank you!!

I made some silver ones. Although they are not perfectly round. I watched youtube and used the make a hole in your base and let the ball settle there when melted. They were easy enough to attached although i let them settle where they wanted which is what i wanted. Nothing like these i add but il post a pic of my effort...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are lovely Mandy, gives it a slightly more organic look I think

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Those are lovely Mandy, gives it a slightly more organic look I think
    Yeah... definitely hand made.
    Be good to see what yours turns out like...

I would probably go with the solid ball version as being a ring the likelihood of denting a hollow ball is quite high.I have some gold dress shirt studs with dented ball ends and they can’t be recovered

This looks great Mandy. What did you type into YouTube to find the tutorial ??

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    I made some silver ones. Although they are not perfectly round. I watched youtube and used the make a hole in your base and let the ball settle there when melted. They were easy enough to attached although i let them settle where they wanted which is what i wanted. Nothing like these i add but il post a pic of my effort...

This looks great Mandy. What did you type into YouTube to find the tutorial ??