Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customer doesnt like ring

Default Customer doesnt like ring

Hi everyone,

Iv been making a bridal set for someone in 9ct rose gold, white gold and silver with a moissanite at the lowest price i could (£280) because i know she really didnt have a lot of money but really wanted something custom made.

I made sure before i accepted her request that she knew i was not professional and had no training besides youtube videos of andrew berry. I didnt want her to get something she would think was machine made looking.

She saw a picture before posting and said she loved them (music to my ears!) but when she got them she messaged and said now she wants beading over the cage of the setting top and bottom, Im worried about doing this because in my experience even on a low heat the setting can melt before the solder does or at the same time as the solder so im worried it will melt. can anyone suggest a way of doing this without that occurring? thankyou

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38537725_936576869879562_2177960242011176960_n.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	11512
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38508287_10217860035159414_1598385500979200000_n.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	11513

I wouldn't do it, won't you risk damaging the setting just by removing the moissanite to add the extra beading? She should have specified beforehand if she wanted the beading to look a particular way.

I would refer her to a jeweller with access to a laser welder for whatever else she wants done with them....

Quote Originally Posted by belette View Post
    I wouldn't do it, won't you risk damaging the setting just by removing the moissanite to add the extra beading? She should have specified beforehand if she wanted the beading to look a particular way.

I would refer her to a jeweller with access to a laser welder for whatever else she wants done with them....
    Yes iv had to buy another setting in the event the original is too damaged from removing the stone. Its cost me more in time to make this ring then what iv been paid! x

You're familiar with the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished"? Is this the one where your supplier "accidentally" sent you a CZ?
    It's always a risk with custom work that someone changes their mind, unfortunately - at least you've got evidence that they were happy with it when they saw it.

My temptation would be to say that the beading cannot work with the existing setting and that the design works around that accordingly. Not sure what the setting is, admittedly.
    If you were set on adding more beading - assuming it's the silver part - I'd pull the stone, cut the existing beading off & make up 2 new full rings in beaded wire to replace it. Solder them back on with easy, reset the stone. However, that's a moderate chunk of work for something where your profit margins are already low.

(Equally, per belette's comment it might be possible to laser on additional bits, but it wouldn't be fun)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You're familiar with the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished"? Is this the one where your supplier "accidentally" sent you a CZ?
    It's always a risk with custom work that someone changes their mind, unfortunately - at least you've got evidence that they were happy with it when they saw it.

My temptation would be to say that the beading cannot work with the existing setting and that the design works around that accordingly. Not sure what the setting is, admittedly.
    If you were set on adding more beading - assuming it's the silver part - I'd pull the stone, cut the existing beading off & make up 2 new full rings in beaded wire to replace it. Solder them back on with easy, reset the stone. However, that's a moderate chunk of work for something where your profit margins are already low.

(Equally, per belette's comment it might be possible to laser on additional bits, but it wouldn't be fun)
    Thank you peter, Yes its the same ring the supplier sent me a CZ for instead of moissanite.
    I have managed to explain i cant put beading over the setting without having to redo the whole thing, as she isnt willing to pay anything more i wont be doing that. i just hope i dont get bad reviews for this. thank you all.

If you do get a bad review, I'd hope there is a right to respond in which case you might point out that it was done to a limited budget and the design had been accepted when you sent pictures. Tempting as it may be, it's probably best not to put "bridezilla".

I'm always skeptical when I get sob stories about "can't afford more" - if you can't afford it, then buying jewellery isn't a sensible thing to be doing IMO. Mind you, I've been spun that yarn a few times - and then you hear of their plans to spend weeks in far-flung places for the honeymoon and the like.

I thought this was a friend?
    If this was a customer you are beyond crazy to have got yourself into this for so little profit margin IMO..
    Lesson learned I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I thought this was a friend?
    If this was a customer you are beyond crazy to have got yourself into this for so little profit margin IMO..
    Lesson learned I hope.
    She’s a customer in the sense that she’s paying I guess enigma, but she is also a friend, but I agree I have very much undercharged! Lesson well learnt! X

I would explain that that's the design she was happy with and you would be glad to modify it but at her expense. Thats the big problem with bespoke work is its more pinning the customer to a design than making the jewellery ! If she had paid top money yes maybe there is wiggle room but you have already gone above and beyond in offering her a very good price. If she is asking you to change the design just because she does not like it she should pay for at least to cover your time and materials. You have supplied a very nice ring don't under sell yourself be confident in your work it looks great. If you pick a colour for the decorator to paint your living room you would not expect him to buy new paint and repaint it for nothing because you don't like the colour when its painted ?

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I would explain that that's the design she was happy with and you would be glad to modify it but at her expense. Thats the big problem with bespoke work is its more pinning the customer to a design than making the jewellery ! If she had paid top money yes maybe there is wiggle room but you have already gone above and beyond in offering her a very good price. If she is asking you to change the design just because she does not like it she should pay for at least to cover your time and materials. You have supplied a very nice ring don't under sell yourself be confident in your work it looks great. If you pick a colour for the decorator to paint your living room you would not expect him to buy new paint and repaint it for nothing because you don't like the colour when its painted ?
    Very true!
    Id tell her to do one! Very politely!
    What youve made there is stunning and in my opinion id feel so lucky to have had someone spend their time and skill in making it.
    She accepted it from the picture. She needs to know its a risky business in altering it!
    Hope it all turns out ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk