Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simple seaglass & chalcedony ring selection

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Actually Sandra I had a spell of misplacing the decimal points and sometimes they even ended up on the floor.

What I meant was 0.40mm bezel strip, which is my go to for all but very small stones.

The only difference now, is that I make them by rolling wires sideways in my mill, then annealing and pulling to stretch and straighten them. This gives even bezel wire without the need for a saw. Dennis
    Hi Dennis,

I really like your idea of using wire rolled sideways instead of piercing sheet. What thickness of wire do you usually start with to end up with 0.4mm thickness of a reasonable width to use as a bezel?

Thanks, Tess

Hi Tess, I thought this was one of my better ideas, because I find sawing narrow strips really tedious, but no one else has ever asked about it.

1.0mm round wire will give about 2.0mm wide x 0.4mm thick bezel strip, when rolled sideways slowly and gradually and then annealed again and stretched to straighten it. This is a pretty standard width for medium sized cabochons.
    One benefit is that leaving the slightly rounded lower edge on the bezel, means that it contains solder neatly when soldered to its backing.

Practice with copper first. Dennis.

I like your cheat Dennis, I think that's very clever

Thanks Dennis. Will give it a try!

Interesting Dennis, my friend Karen in QLD makes small sliver boxes and uses the same method only with correspondingly thicker wire to make the sides of here her smaller ones

Proving there's nothing new under the sun Bob, Except them 'ornary viruses, that is.