Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Acrylic Cuff With Hinge And Catch.

Default An Acrylic Cuff With Hinge And Catch.

Acrylic sheet is fun to bend. You can just put it on a baking sheet in your home oven at 165°C and within minutes it can be formed around a mandrel, wearing thick gloves of course.

It takes a bit of practice to get an even shape, but the same piece can be reheated several times.
    Here I used a 30 x 190mm strip and once formed around my oval bangle mandrel, which is slightly tapered, I cut it in half to add my silver findings.

For the cuff ends I made open sided sleeves from textured sterling. The hinge was made using jump rings for knuckles and a tubular hinge pin with heads of balled silver wire.
    The catch is of similar construction, but has a split pin made from D-shaped wire which is held captive by a thin divider of white gold in the top jump ring.

The sleeves are glued in place with self curing acrylic.

I also added some foil backed crystals to one side, which can be shown or hidden according to mood. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hc1 Hinged Cuff the Parts.jpg   Hc2 The Hinge.jpg   Hc3 Catch Open.jpg   Hc4 Catch Closed.jpg  

I take it, the self curing acrylic (glue) is only every used with acrylic. I love modern cuffs.

That’s very lovely Dennis, I’d happily wear that

Very nice Dennis, love the colour of it too.

A nice cuff Denise and I like the strong colour. I might have been tempted to pin/rivet the cuff ends, but I like to hit things with hammers and punches.

As said that is lovely, (although I would not wear it)

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    A nice cuff Denise and I like the strong colour. I might have been tempted to pin/rivet the cuff ends, but I like to hit things with hammers and punches.
    I’m a bit of a riveter too Alastair decorative and functional but then it does change the look.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.
    The glue is Tensol 70, which is a clear treacle like liquid, with a catalyst to harden it. The nuisance is that you need a drug dealers balance to weigh out the 5% of additive and a supply of mixing cups and stirrers.
    I was tempted to use additional fixings, but resisted for fear of having it look heavier. I dont think it will give way, but it is being kept in house, so I can keep an eye on it. Dennis.

That sounds like a real faff, the minute you said 5% I went cold inside
    Keeping an eye on it, a wise man indeed. I'm keeping a eye on most of the things I've made
    The one I always remember was using ordinary varnish on fimo. Over time the item goes sticky (chemical reaction) and all the dust and dirt gets stuck to it. Still wonder what happened to all those dolls house things I made and sold before I knew

That's lovely Dennis and I especially like the way in which its constructed.
    Jules