Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple seaglass & chalcedony ring selection

They look really lovely so well done

Your finishing looks alot higher standard than most sea glass items others make as well. I feel its a item thats let down by have a go heros bashing out cheapy pieces

Thanks both, they aren't perfect, but I try to spend a while in polishing/finishing stage to get something that looks professional!

mick, I am jealous that you are near Seaham or somewhere you can collect multis - I am landlocked and limited to searching whenever we go on holiday (or if I can outsource the beachcombing to family members!)

Default Bezel woes

Quote Originally Posted by belette View Post
    What are you using for the bezel strip? The ones above were done with the 3mm bezel strip from cookies but I know others prefer either using sheet or rolling wire.

I use hard solder paste to join the bezel strip and then move back to borax/pallions to add the baseplate, the solder paste creates more cleanup but i find it works well in this application. For attaching the base plate pallions are definitely tidier though. What stage are you having the melting problem at?
    Did it take you a while to get the knack of using the bezel wire? I seem to find that using the 3mm gets quite beat up and raggedy

They're lovely, very nicely done.

I'm afraid you are both a year too late and belette has long fled to the coop.
    As for bezel wire, no need to suffer if you use strip cut from 4.00mm fine silver sheet, or even thicker. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, just got some in the post!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm afraid you are both a year too late and belette has long fled to the coop.
    As for bezel wire, no need to suffer if you use strip cut from 4.00mm fine silver sheet, or even thicker. Dennis.
    I realise the original poster is no longer here unfortunately as I was just admiring her seaglass rings! I was interested in your comment about cutting bezel strips from fine silver sheet Dennis, I’m assuming you mean .04mm fine silver sheet and not 4.00?

Actually Sandra I had a spell of misplacing the decimal points and sometimes they even ended up on the floor.

What I meant was 0.40mm bezel strip, which is my go to for all but very small stones.

The only difference now, is that I make them by rolling wires sideways in my mill, then annealing and pulling to stretch and straighten them. This gives even bezel wire without the need for a saw. Dennis

Thanks Dennis, that’s what I suspected! I don’t have a rolling mill yet but I could try cutting strips of silver from sheet. I’m finding standard bezel wire to be almost too thin for seaglass. If the seaglass isn’t perfectly smooth (which it rarely is) it’s almost impossible to keep the bezel looking smooth as well. Obviously working with cabochons would probably be a better idea but I love my seaglass and haven’t given up quite yet!

These look lovely and really well made, yes there are loads on Etsy but that doesn't mean they aren't all selling! One shop in particular sells nothing but sea glass jewellery I noticed and they sell oodles of it.

Amanda