Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple seaglass & chalcedony ring selection

Default Simple seaglass & chalcedony ring selection

As it sounds really - I was on holiday in Devon recently and came back with an assortment of quite nice seaglass so have a variety of simple stacking rings in progress. The good thing about these is I can make a batch quite quickly if I work through stages methodically (I seem to faff a lot so this is useful discipline!!).

Nothing revolutionary in the design and there's a billion things like this on Etsy but people seem to like them and it's good practice for making bezels efficiently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180809_094344_867 (1).jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	11509

Name:	2018-08-09 11.11.46 1-1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	11510

The other one is a marquise chalcedony cab with some wire I was messing around with. I like how this turned out and will probably make more - will spend longer refining the ends of the wire next time!

Name:	2018-08-09 11.10.55 1-1.jpg 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	11511

Photos are with my phone so don't capture the detail that well - have a macro extender tube coming tomorrow to use with the proper camera so hopefully this will improve the quality of my photography.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome

What a marvellous selection though and all picked up by yourself. Dennis.

I think there is something particularly special about jewellery made with materials you have found yourself. Happy holiday memories

They look lovely Belette.

Tess

Quote Originally Posted by belette View Post
    As it sounds really - I was on holiday in Devon recently and came back with an assortment of quite nice seaglass so have a variety of simple stacking rings in progress. The good thing about these is I can make a batch quite quickly if I work through stages methodically (I seem to faff a lot so this is useful discipline!!).

Nothing revolutionary in the design and there's a billion things like this on Etsy but people seem to like them and it's good practice for making bezels efficiently.

Name:	IMG_20180809_094344_867 (1).jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	11509

Name:	2018-08-09 11.11.46 1-1.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	11510

The other one is a marquise chalcedony cab with some wire I was messing around with. I like how this turned out and will probably make more - will spend longer refining the ends of the wire next time!

Name:	2018-08-09 11.10.55 1-1.jpg 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	11511

Photos are with my phone so don't capture the detail that well - have a macro extender tube coming tomorrow to use with the proper camera so hopefully this will improve the quality of my photography.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome
    Theyre so lovely.
    I have loads of seaglass collected from hols etc and would love to bezel set them.
    Still a bit scared to be honest.
    Are all yours flat bottomed?
    This is what baffles me. Trying to get it to sit right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mandy,

These are pieces that are pretty flat on the bottom. One of them was less flat (the white) so I supported it with some 1mm round wire inside the bezel.

The ideal is flattish pieces that are nicely rounded on all edges but to be honest the bezel will hide minor chips esp if you do the walls a bit taller. For pieces that aren't flattish I would use a claw setting though.

Would love to see (sea?) some of your seaglass projects I was at the beach yesterday and very pleased to find two pieces of dark blue glass.

Quote Originally Posted by belette View Post
    Hi Mandy,

These are pieces that are pretty flat on the bottom. One of them was less flat (the white) so I supported it with some 1mm round wire inside the bezel.

The ideal is flattish pieces that are nicely rounded on all edges but to be honest the bezel will hide minor chips esp if you do the walls a bit taller. For pieces that aren't flattish I would use a claw setting though.

Would love to see (sea?) some of your seaglass projects I was at the beach yesterday and very pleased to find two pieces of dark blue glass.
    I haven’t done any yet!
    Ive tried making a bezel but i melt it each time. I try not to heat it too much either. Think i need some wider strip aswell. Work in progress and lots of practice i think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you using for the bezel strip? The ones above were done with the 3mm bezel strip from cookies but I know others prefer either using sheet or rolling wire.

I use hard solder paste to join the bezel strip and then move back to borax/pallions to add the baseplate, the solder paste creates more cleanup but i find it works well in this application. For attaching the base plate pallions are definitely tidier though. What stage are you having the melting problem at?

Those are great, i love the look of the sea glass. I’m going on a beach trip this winter and will have to keep my eyes open for some free “stones”.

It is interesting to hear that people can still take sea glass in UK and USA the taking of natural (??) sea glass,shells and pretty much anything else from beaches in Australia is no longer permitted

Really lovely= all of them
    Nick