Thread: question abt finining and stone setting in a tricky places

Default question abt finining and stone setting in a tricky places

I have another edicational question to all pls today. I will attach 2 pictures of rings I have practiced recently . They are silver and brass inside setting. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2568.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	11507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2458.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	11508
    Question 1) what instruments would you use to set stones in such a tricky place ( I have used burnisher as only idea I could come up with , do not shoot if silly ) and result if you can see on the moon stone ring is not best .... on the second ring stone is a bead made from Lavaso I set it normally then soldered... haha but still would love to know what is best to use ....

question 2) how would you finish it inside? what instuments to use. I have rubber flame shaped polisher for dremel but it does not go inside tricky places. I have used also trick with cotton on a drill bit with some polishing compound but still prefer to have some proper finishing as I am not 100% happy with result . What would you do?
    Thank you !

The short answer is that if you are an experienced jeweller, you will not come up with designs which cannot be realistically made.

Both rings could be better finished before setting using a tumbler with very small shot.

You must leave enough room for a setting tool, in this case a pusher, but it can be ground to a very narrow shape. To avoid pushing the setting to one side with the force, you can insert a section of curved metal into the gap opposite and move it round as needed. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The short answer is that if you are an experienced jeweller, you will not come up with designs which cannot be realistically made.

B.
    very Fair comment actually ... I have learned it now... but I am made this way ... always do and then think ..still maybe there are ways to get into tricky places for cleaning?
    on the moonstone ring I had tumbled ring before setting... it was perfect but during setting my tool was not right so you can see result is awfull///... as I did not have right instrument I like your idea of modifying pusher into a very narrow shape... will think of it! thanks! Anna

I'm a great believer in brass pushers, as they damage less. If you can buy, some 3.0mm brass wire, it is easy to flatten the end by annealing, hammering and filing. It will fit into a universal handle, the type with a screw collar.

In this case I would also have used 0.4mm fine silver cut from sheet, as it is less challenging to push. Dennis.

thanks for guidance... I will try to play with brass wire... also accidentally seen on Instagram today someone did pusher from still nail, by polishing flat top..... maybe will try this one too.... Hope in any way my set of instruments will increase.....