Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming out of the shadows with this post...FILES!

Default Coming out of the shadows with this post...FILES!

Hello from the US!

As a hobbyist, I've been playing with metal off/on for 10 years and have been slowly building up my tools along the way. I finally decided it was time to invest in a few better quality tools, so my first purchase was a couple of Grobet files, just arrived today.

What a difference! I had NO IDEA how hard I was working to get a flat, smooth surface until I used the Grobet just a few minutes ago...got an even better surface using a fraction of the passes it took on my standard files from the local hardware.

I should have done this a long time ago, but I thought what I was using was fine, so why spend the money...now I know.

Just sharing my excitement over my new tool...I know you all understand.

Hi Hippygirl, welcome
    Grobet is not a make I’m aware of here in the UK but yes it is usually worth paying extra to get the best you can afford and then you wonder how you ever managed without them.

Website error appeared and then it posted twice
    Last edited by CJ57; 06-08-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Hippygirl, welcome
    Grobet is not a make I’m aware of here in the UK but yes it is usually worth paying extra to get the best you can afford and then you wonder how you ever managed without them.
    Over here, the two most popular makes seem to be Grobet and Vallorbe/Glardon Vallorbe (one is made in Italy and the other in Switzerland, IIRC). I'm simply shocked at the difference!

Yes Vallorbe here too, which reminds me that I could do with some new files, I’ll wait on a Cookson sale though

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Yes Vallorbe here too, which reminds me that I could do with some new files, I’ll wait on a Cookson sale though
    I wish at least ONE US vendor would have a sale on files now and then, but noooooooooooo...

Largely from the company history on their website: Vallorbe or Usines Métallurgiques de Vallorbe was formed in 1899 by the 3 largest metal working companies in the Vallorbe valley in Switzerland. Two of these companies being Antoine Glardon & Cie and Grobet SA. F. L. Grobet had invented the cutting machine for Swiss pattern files. Presently Vallorbe use the 'Glardon' or 'Glardon Vallorbe' brand name for their full range premium quality files and the 'Vallorbe' brand name for their more recently introduced (re-introduced) 'Classic' intermediate quality file range which covers the most popular shapes in 3 cuts, 0, 2 & 4 or "bastard-cut", "second-cut" and "smooth-cut". The also produce a so called 'Saver' range, offering 'maximum performance for an attractive price'!. The 'Grobet' name was originally used on products imported into the U.S.A. but Grobet U.S.A. has grown far beyond merely importing Vallorbe products. And, finally we come to 'Baiter' branded files... yes, you guessed another brand, but nevertheless manufactured by Vallorbe.

Confused? I am, but their new 'buff' escapement finishing files are a thing of beauty both in looks and use. Now all I've got to do is get the quality of my work up to warranting their use, meanwhile I just just take them out of the box occasionally to admire them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kay View Post
    Largely from the company history on their website: Vallorbe or Usines Métallurgiques de Vallorbe was formed in 1899 by the 3 largest metal working companies in the Vallorbe valley in Switzerland. Two of these companies being Antoine Glardon & Cie and Grobet SA. F. L. Grobet had invented the cutting machine for Swiss pattern files. Presently Vallorbe use the 'Glardon' or 'Glardon Vallorbe' brand name for their full range premium quality files and the 'Vallorbe' brand name for their more recently introduced (re-introduced) 'Classic' intermediate quality file range which covers the most popular shapes in 3 cuts, 0, 2 & 4 or "bastard-cut", "second-cut" and "smooth-cut". The also produce a so called 'Saver' range, offering 'maximum performance for an attractive price'!. The 'Grobet' name was originally used on products imported into the U.S.A. but Grobet U.S.A. has grown far beyond merely importing Vallorbe products. And, finally we come to 'Baiter' branded files... yes, you guessed another brand, but nevertheless manufactured by Vallorbe.

Confused? I am, but their new 'buff' escapement finishing files are a thing of beauty both in looks and use. Now all I've got to do is get the quality of my work up to warranting their use, meanwhile I just just take them out of the box occasionally to admire them.
    Makes the head spin, doesn't it!

I am in the process of replacing my large pillar and half round files with vallorbe (currently using hand me downs of unknown make and provenance). I have vallorbe needle files and realised that they were about 1000 times better than my rough files. So time to make the change!

As far as the larger files go, what grades do you all use? I will be adding one to my order each time to build up my selection

Cut 2 is medium, but as I am very impatient I also have cut 0 in the 6" flat file, which really does the business.
    In the half round, cut 4 is good for gentle removal and a near perfect finish.
    For wood and acrylic 00 is best. Dennis.