Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building my Workbench

Quote Originally Posted by OceanandEarth View Post
    I’m gonna try a winter without insulation see how I get on lol ⛄️ ⛄️ I’m in cornwall so it’s usually not too bad here! I will have a oil radiator too.
    Might want to consider how easy it would be retrofit some later on if you decide its actually freezing and you'd like some insulation after all! If you're anything like me you'll accumulate a tonne of stuff to fill your workshop in no time so having to dismantle your benches and clear it out once you've moved in could be quite a hassle.
    Hazel

Quote Originally Posted by eekoh View Post
    Might want to consider how easy it would be retrofit some later on if you decide its actually freezing and you'd like some insulation after all! If you're anything like me you'll accumulate a tonne of stuff to fill your workshop in no time so having to dismantle your benches and clear it out once you've moved in could be quite a hassle.
    I agree. Id get it done now. I was thinking of having to shift everything out to do it now its all full and that made me a bit queezy! It will get cold so id price it up. Itl be worth it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damp is a real problem here in Cornwall, we have very wet winters and I have a very wet clay garden, I will probably keep my shed cold and drafty to stop the damp, I’d rather put up with the cold than risk battling damp! I have a set up inside if we get snow again this Winter ⛄️⛄️ I will be in there swearing wearing 6 layers lol

Quote Originally Posted by OceanandEarth View Post
    Damp is a real problem here in Cornwall, we have very wet winters and I have a very wet clay garden, I will probably keep my shed cold and drafty to stop the damp, I’d rather put up with the cold than risk battling damp! I have a set up inside if we get snow again this Winter ⛄️⛄️ I will be in there swearing wearing 6 layers lol

you’ll have to let us know how you’re getting on in February!!! ❄️

That is looking lovely! Sort of thing i would adore to work in! and lots of light through the windows which will be a great help.

I currently do all my work in my spare room which was a old shop front, big windows and solid floorboards but i dont have a bench or anything....i use a old table with a wooden slab and a soldering block, 3rd hand, desk lamp ect.

Im currently in the process of getting my husband to clear out the shed so i can use that as my workshop!
    Its randomly got a toilet in the corner which is working and plumbed in, its got working electric and lights which is a bonus as i can have a kettle in the corner for making up pickle, and more importantly, tea and coffee. I also have my propane tank, sivert torch and all my cubicles ect out there.

My husband saw a guy at the tip getting rid of a huge kitchen work surface he had no use for as they ordered more then required for doing up their kitchen (unused and brand new, solid oak) so he asked if he could have it with the plan of making me a bench with it, the guy said yes and didnt ask anything for it just that he used it and didnt tip it like he was going to!

I guess my husband is planning on cutting out a half circle and putting a leather sheet underneath to catch any gold dust or stones i drop, and hes putting some little draw compartments underneath for settings, wires, tools and things.

When its sorted il be very very happy! Excuse the mess of my work station, my kids have been in there today pulling things out of drawers and making a mess, even more of a reason to work in the shed!
    Also excuse the pretty dead hanging basket....i live in wales and generally everything dies from being over watered by constant rain!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38799169_261932857745932_2387319286143123456_n.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	11516

Name:	38921065_542819482811364_552583212333793280_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	11517

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    you’ll have to let us know how you’re getting on in February!!! ❄️

I will, probably praying for the summer lol 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    That is looking lovely! Sort of thing i would adore to work in! and lots of light through the windows which will be a great help.

I currently do all my work in my spare room which was a old shop front, big windows and solid floorboards but i dont have a bench or anything....i use a old table with a wooden slab and a soldering block, 3rd hand, desk lamp ect.

Im currently in the process of getting my husband to clear out the shed so i can use that as my workshop!
    Its randomly got a toilet in the corner which is working and plumbed in, its got working electric and lights which is a bonus as i can have a kettle in the corner for making up pickle, and more importantly, tea and coffee. I also have my propane tank, sivert torch and all my cubicles ect out there.

My husband saw a guy at the tip getting rid of a huge kitchen work surface he had no use for as they ordered more then required for doing up their kitchen (unused and brand new, solid oak) so he asked if he could have it with the plan of making me a bench with it, the guy said yes and didnt ask anything for it just that he used it and didnt tip it like he was going to!

I guess my husband is planning on cutting out a half circle and putting a leather sheet underneath to catch any gold dust or stones i drop, and hes putting some little draw compartments underneath for settings, wires, tools and things.

When its sorted il be very very happy! Excuse the mess of my work station, my kids have been in there today pulling things out of drawers and making a mess, even more of a reason to work in the shed!
    Also excuse the pretty dead hanging basket....i live in wales and generally everything dies from being over watered by constant rain!

Oh that’s a lovely building, it’s reassuring to know we pretty much all start off the same, in our little corners of the country. I was using an old painted bureau in my dining room but it was just too dark in there, so I’ve stopped till the shed is painted and kitted out. Work is crazy at the moment so the shed is coming second, and where’s the sun gone? Tipping down here today

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post

Oh my what a shed you’re gonna have! That looks ace!!! And how nice your hubby looking out for you and knowing what you’ll need. Cant wait to see this when its done!