Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building my Workbench

Default Building my Workbench

So I have bought a lovely shed after much searching and found the perfect 8 by 8 shed with windows down one side for my new hobby to begin making jewellery. It’s up!!! I know how I want it to look inside, before I build myself a workbench can anyone think of any tips and has anyone else built a workbench in a shed? what did you build yours with? useful things that I might not think of before I start. I have gone from a dark room inside using an old desk so I now have so much room to use and lots of light, so exciting! thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends what you want to do on it and how much stuff you have. I have full length benches along 2 walls and a wee add on under the window for my bench drill. I did start off with an old office desk though with a half circle cut out and drawers down one side

Thanks so much, I will look through those threads, I’m going to build a bench along 2 walls I might use a desk I have too if it will fit, with my measurements. My idea is very similar to what other people have done which is good to see. Thanks I will post pics when I’m finally set up thanks again for your great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanandEarth View Post
    Thanks so much, I will look through those threads, I’m going to build a bench along 2 walls I might use a desk I have too if it will fit, with my measurements. My idea is very similar to what other people have done which is good to see. Thanks I will post pics when I’m finally set up thanks again for your great advice.

Depending on how stable your shed walls are if you intends to do it along 2 walls then it can be done really cheaply. My OH built a very robust bench from 4.5cm planks with a strap along the wall length and spaced legs to the front. That means in the future if you get heavier equipment the bench is in place and you just cut out the half circle for your workspace wherever you want it. I have Ikea metal drawer units underneath

So I have bought a lovely shed after much searching and found the perfect 8 by 8 shed with windows down one side for my new hobby to begin making jewellery. It’s up!!! I know how I want it to look inside, before I build myself a workbench can anyone think of any tips and has anyone else built a workbench in a shed? what did you build yours with? useful things that I might not think of before I start. I have gone from a dark room inside using an old desk so I now have so much room to use and lots of light, so exciting! thanks guys

Yes! Mines a new shed too!
    I have a worktop right the way round so i have max space.
    I then have a shelf all the way round for lighter items.
    Loads of sockets and loads more! You need one for music of course also With usb just because theyre handy.
    I had some sockets put under the bench aswell. Heater in winter.
    I got it all insulated too.
    And a bright strip light is a must!
    Il see if i can post some pics...

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    Yes! Mines a new shed too!
    I have a worktop right the way round so i have max space.
    I then have a shelf all the way round for lighter items.
    Loads of sockets and loads more! You need one for music of course also With usb just because theyre handy.
    I had some sockets put under the bench aswell. Heater in winter.
    I got it all insulated too.
    And a bright strip light is a must!
    Il see if i can post some inside ones tomorrow. These were when is was just being done. . .

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post

Awesome, funny I nearly went for a corner shed/summerhouse too. But I was restricted to 8 by 8 so I found a ‘potting shed’ with windows down one side, it’s super light inside, and I’m painting it stone colour to reflect more light, my husband is an electrian so will be will adding plenty of sockets, yes good idea I will add a usb one too, def radio is going in, and a heater, I’m gonna try a winter without insulation see how I get on lol ⛄️ ⛄️ I’m in cornwall so it’s usually not too bad here! I will have a oil radiator too. I will try to add pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2725.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	11504

It also has windows at each ends that open which is good very roomy inside!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2725.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	11504

It also has windows at each ends that open which is good very roomy inside!

Oh that’s lovely!
    Well think of all the electrical items you have and then add more sockets.
    My oil radiator plugs in underneath so i dont have trailing leads.
    You lucky thing living there. Mines insulated. I had the oil rad on and the halogen in winter!
    Send some pics inside when youre done...