Thread: Cost effective way to make this

Default Cost effective way to make this

Hi everyone,

I was recently gifted 6cts of natural rubies (varying size and shapes) but i have decided i would really like to make a extravagant art deco style necklace with rubies and zirconia in sterling silver.

Im using a ball chain, I need to think of a type of setting i can use to set the stones and solder on to the ball chain. I believe wraptite settings wont do well with heat as they look quite thin and easily meltable.

So i have 2 options really that i can see, being bezel/rubover setting (which i have not tried before) and using standard double gallery settings and soldering them to the ball chain before adding the stone.

Can anyone help me with ideas how i can do this at the lowest cost possible? I have attached a photo of the sort of thing i mean (where i want to position my stones) thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37821858_10217783171557872_1645836596018151424_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	11450

If you make your own bezel settings with 0.3mm fine silver it will cost hardly anything.
    Or you could make claw settings with silver wire which would cost even less.

Thanks enigma, unfortunately i cant make wire settings, i have tried but always fail haha! as for bezel settings, iv never tried. But i dont have a pendant drill or any kind of equipment to drill a seat for the stone. i only have my dremel haha! Do you know if wraptite can be soldered? im guessing it cant be?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Sounds like you have a dilemma. There are pre-made settings, if that is what you are after, but they are not cost effective, if you are watching your pennies.

Maybe try with some practice stones with a bezel setting? There are many videos freely available to get you started.

Going back to buying some mounts, and soldering them together; you would need to cut the seats for the stones to sit on, and then set them in place.

Snap tight settings will lose their tension when heated and, as they are very thin, may even melt when being soldered, as you point out.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

You are obviously a capable and determined person. Now is the time to channel your energy into becoming a studio jeweller.
    Give up the commercial ready mades, use only the cheapest basic materials (copper if necessary), read books, see U Tube videos, join a part time class and start making in earnest. We will be happy to trouble shoot. Dennis.

I’m sure we all have packets of things we don’t yet have the skills for making something great with, I know I have. Keep them safe and do as Dennis said. Bring them out occasionally to spur you on to be able to do something special with them

Bezel setting really isn't difficult although I would recommend you start with cabochons as they are a lot easier.
    You wouldn't normally cut a seat, you would solder a small piece of wire inside for the seat- the same shape as the bezel and a snug fit.
    Making wire claw fittings isn't that hard to get right with practise either and requires no special tools plus if you make your own you can make them for any shape and size of stone.
    Of course your first attempts won't be perfect but silver wire is cheap so you can practise plenty at little cost.
    I normally use 0.7mm wire.
    Youtube has lots of videos to help you get started

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was recently gifted 6cts of natural rubies (varying size and shapes) but i have decided i would really like to make a extravagant art deco style necklace with rubies and zirconia in sterling silver.

Im using a ball chain, I need to think of a type of setting i can use to set the stones and solder on to the ball chain. I believe wraptite settings wont do well with heat as they look quite thin and easily meltable.

So i have 2 options really that i can see, being bezel/rubover setting (which i have not tried before) and using standard double gallery settings and soldering them to the ball chain before adding the stone.

Can anyone help me with ideas how i can do this at the lowest cost possible? I have attached a photo of the sort of thing i mean (where i want to position my stones) thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37821858_10217783171557872_1645836596018151424_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	11450
    I had a go at claw setting a shell recently and it turned out ok.
    I had a go at bezel setting and melted the lot! Had another go and nearly melted that! It looks so easy on the vids but im struggling with it. Then again, my stones arent flat bottomed. Oh well. Trial and error... hope to see the finished piccie when youve done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk