Thread: Update on the shell setting...

Default Update on the shell setting...

Sorry, not been around for a while... mega busy!
    Anyway, ive done the setting but its not perfect. A bit gappy and i cant for the life if me get it to sit flush and it moves! But it wont come out. My first attempt at gallery wire was ok but i couldnt push it flat on the flat side! What a mess that was! And waste of money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the way you have done the back.
    If it were me I would make the claws shorter but some people prefer them that way so its down to your and your customers taste ( you don't need that much to hold the shell).

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I love the way you have done the back.
    If it were me I would make the claws shorter but some people prefer them that way so its down to your and your customers taste ( you don't need that much to hold the shell).
    My first time doing anything like this so wanted enough ‘claw’ but one is shorter! Theres loads wrong with it but hopefully she wont notice

Well, the shell is not symmetrical either, so I don't think the claw length is that critical. I think you have done a good job in keeping the metal work to a minimum and letting the shell speak for itself.

I am a great fan of pliers for stone setting, but you have to develop the sensitivity not to press too hard and crack something.

In this case parallel pliers covered in plenty of masking tape might close the arms more tightly.
    However if the shell won't fall out why bother? Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-07-2018 at 09:02 PM.

You can't tell from the photos but if it bothers you you could cut the claws with a pair of flush cutters- carefully.

I like it. It has the feeling of a ancient relic or a victorian specimen piece which suits the shell. If you're at all nervous i would leave it as it is as in my experience the more you fiddle the worse it gets. And there's more potential for something to crack. Thanks for sharing.

Ah thanks for all your replies. I feel more positive about it now. I thought the same thing and stopped messing but I've got to say, it's one sturdy shell! I used pliers covered in everything to protect it more and it's only one prong that has a little gap (the photo in fairness makes it look worse). And the silver leaves black marks where it touches!
    She hasn't said if she likes it either! Sent me a message saying she's off on hols for 2 weeks and no mention if it was ok or not which was slightly annoying! Oh well, I suppose they don't feel the vibe for jewellery like we do! Thanks all x

beautiful I have similar small top of shell at home which I found on the beach in Thailand and always look at it, as I wanted to make ring ..... now I will definitely do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ankolosova View Post
    beautiful I have similar small top of shell at home which I found on the beach in Thailand and always look at it, as I wanted to make ring ..... now I will definitely do it!
    Ooo be nice to see what you do with that...